Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   WOOSH News (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Chad staging at Bong launches (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15373)

aeppel_cpm 09-01-2015 09:48 AM

Chad staging at Bong launches

I went looking on the clubs website, but didn't find a definitive answer. Is there any prohibition against chad staging low power (13mm) non-competition flights at Bong launches?

It seems like an easier path to 13mm B impulse than handing over a big wad of cash to Jerry - and then facing a certification process :-) For the motors. For me. (Wait, NAR doesn't do experimental). For my sanity.

LeeR 09-01-2015 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
I went looking on the clubs website, but didn't find a definitive answer. Is there any prohibition against chad staging low power (13mm) non-competition flights at Bong launches?

It seems like an easier path to 13mm B impulse than handing over a big wad of cash to Jerry - and then facing a certification process :-) For the motors. For me. (Wait, NAR doesn't do experimental). For my sanity.

I looked for the same information for a club I plan to fly with this Fall. I could not find anything, so I'll guess I'll just email them. I want to build an old 2-stage design that was an Estes plan -- the Augie II (DOM Plan #28). I built this as a kid, and loved the rocket. It is a "ducted" design. The "upper" stage is a BT-20, and the booster motor is contained within a larger BT-60 tube, but falls freely.

I suppose I could actually build a booster section that has fins, and held within the BT-60, if CHAD staging is not allowed.

Here is a picture of the first page of the old plan, on JimZ Plans. This would make a great upscale, too, for 24mm or 29mm BP motors.

Ltvscout 09-01-2015 12:05 PM

Quote:

You'll probably want to ask Chad if he's ok with being staged. :chuckle:

aeppel_cpm 09-01-2015 12:07 PM

I know the proper staging for that kind of Chad. A cider booster with a whiskey sustainer. No issues.

tbzep 09-01-2015 12:21 PM

It is only against competition rules, not any general NAR codes. If your club allows featherweight recovery models like the Estes Mosquito or Streak, the chad stager should fall under the same allowances.

ghrocketman 09-01-2015 12:35 PM

Chad staging seems to be approved but just don't EVER try Frank, Sam, or Joe.

PaulK 09-02-2015 07:30 AM

Quote:

Chad staging will be allowed at the discretion of the RSO. We normally allow them, if the model looks like it will fly safely, and not be a fire danger. (Example: Dry conditions, chad-staged saucer, may not be allowed)

MadHatter 09-02-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

As long as the motors are taped together and the lower booster falls away it is allowed, EXCEPT during dry conditions at the Bong where a fire can occur.

chadrog 09-02-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:
I know the proper staging for that kind of Chad. A cider booster with a whiskey sustainer. No issues.

Bringo!

aeppel_cpm 09-02-2015 07:47 AM

Deferring to fire hazards makes sense.
Thanks for a definitive answer.

I've been pondering the notion of making a banner for you folks - the retracts-into-the-base kind - that would list the basic rules and procedures for flying with WOOSH at Bong. You could set it at the path from the parking area to the registration/flight line area for all the Boy Scouts and new folks to read. Boy Scouts get a Literacy badge, right? :-)

Maybe with a little 'provided by' credit at the bottom.