Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Saturn 1B with 2 motor cluster (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16172)

aeppel_cpm 08-17-2016 09:36 AM

Saturn 1B with 2 motor cluster

I remember a kit from my youth, and I'm wondering which company/model it was.

I picked it up about 1981 on the clearance table at the Cape Kennedy gift shop. [I was there again last month - no model rockets to be found :-( ] My memory is that it came in a cardboard box - blue white and black?. Vacuum form fins and shrouds. A bit over 2 feet tall. (I was 11 - it was a long time ago). The build was a -lot- like the Centuri instructions posted to YORP- but I distinctly recall that it was a 2 motor cluster with C6s recommended. I recall a flight where one motor started late and the model ended up in cruise missile mode. And a second flight where I got antsy and flew on Bs - really low.

So any ideas what kit it might have been?

Joe Wooten 08-17-2016 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
I remember a kit from my youth, and I'm wondering which company/model it was.

I picked it up about 1981 on the clearance table at the Cape Kennedy gift shop. [I was there again last month - no model rockets to be found :-( ] My memory is that it came in a cardboard box - blue white and black?. Vacuum form fins and shrouds. A bit over 2 feet tall. (I was 11 - it was a long time ago). The build was a -lot- like the Centuri instructions posted to YORP- but I distinctly recall that it was a 2 motor cluster with C6s recommended. I recall a flight where one motor started late and the model ended up in cruise missile mode. And a second flight where I got antsy and flew on Bs - really low.

So any ideas what kit it might have been?

The Centuri S1B??

aeppel_cpm 08-17-2016 09:58 AM

Maybe. I mis-typed in my original post. I had been looking at the Estes #2048 in the YORP collection.

The JimZ KS-10 page is broken - can't get more details.

aeppel_cpm 08-17-2016 10:10 AM

Digging around with google turns up some pics that look familiar. Looks like GG has some pics of a boxed Centuri #2139 that look to be it. So yes - some year's production of the KS-10.

Thanks

dwmzmm 08-17-2016 10:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, it's the Centuri 1/100 scale Saturn 1-B. Great model to have.

aeppel_cpm 08-17-2016 11:13 AM

Alas, mine was lost somewhere in my parent's house during my college years. Hasn't resurfaced in the past twenty years

tbzep 08-17-2016 06:23 PM

I still have my Centuri Saturn 1B. It's first flight was a single motor ignition and it pinwheeled. It's second flight was a C5-3 cato. I rebuilt it with a single D12 mount long before Estes released their version. IIRC, I had a D12 cato and eventually rebuilt it in the original two engine configuration before retiring it from flight.

For those that aren't familiar, both Estes and Centuri were bought by Damon and Centuri was eventually phased out. Some Centuri kits were released as Estes kits...some unchanged, some slightly modified. The 1/100 Saturn 1B was slightly modified. The two engine cluster was changed to a single 24mm mount for D12-5's, which meant the central tube was changed to a BT-50. Packaging and instructions were changed. The capsule was changed to match what was being used on the Estes Saturn V. The service module was painted silver instead of white with self adhesive silver decal that the old Centuri kit used. Estes chutes were used. There may have been another minor change or two but I don't recall right now.

rocketguy101 08-17-2016 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeppel_cpm
Maybe. I mis-typed in my original post. I had been looking at the Estes #2048 in the YORP collection.

The JimZ KS-10 page is broken - can't get more details.

I grabbed the plans while it was still up and converted to a pdf. I cloned this except I went with a single 24 mm motor. The build thread is here .

aeppel_cpm 08-18-2016 07:47 AM

That's great. Thanks for posting the file, David.

hcmbanjo 08-18-2016 10:33 AM

Ditto David - Thanks for posting the Saturn 1B instructions.
It is interesting how Centuri included contact cement in the kit.
I used contact cement years ago and was surprised how quickly the dried glue adhered.
You only got one try with that stuff!