Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Looking For Thor Agena Decal Sheet (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16558)

mojo1986 03-28-2017 07:27 AM

Looking For K-28 Thor Agena Decal Sheet

Looking for one of these to complete an old Estes K-28 build. Would rather have a recent after market sheet than an original as it would be less likely to be brittle. I can do cash, or trade something collectable for it. Anyone able to help me out?

Joe

jetlag 03-28-2017 02:34 PM

Joe,
Try Tango Papa Decals. A bit pricey, but Tom has great stuff and is quite nice to work with.

Allen

mojo1986 03-28-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Joe,
Try Tango Papa Decals. A bit pricey, but Tom has great stuff and is quite nice to work with.

Allen

Allen, thanks for the suggestion. I went there already and he doesn't have that sheet. Does he do custom work? Even if he does, he would have to have a file for the sheet because I can't supply him with one.

Joe

jeffyjeep 03-28-2017 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since the decals are all black I would think it wouldn't be that hard to replicate with black adhesive film and adhesive Helvetica letters and numbers.

mojo1986 03-28-2017 08:18 PM

Thanks, Jeff. So those numbers are Helvetica, are they? Now if I can just find out where to buy them ( Staples, maybe? ) I might be able to get this done. Gonna be a lot more work than decals, though............ :(

stefanj 03-28-2017 08:34 PM

You can buy, at office supply places, full-sheet transparent label material.

I used this to make the markings for my Estes Titan II. The original didn't have decals; I scanned in the pattern, and used Corel Draw to recreate the roll bars and stripes and such, on a different layer, and used that for printing.

Print nice and dark and maybe darken with ink marker after the fact.

You still need to cut out the pieces carefully.

I hit the Titan with matte spray and that concealed the transition between paint and label and it really came out nice.

jeffyjeep 03-28-2017 09:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Thanks, Jeff. So those numbers are Helvetica, are they? Now if I can just find out where to buy them ( Staples, maybe? ) I might be able to get this done. Gonna be a lot more work than decals, though............ :(

You can get them at Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, and Hobby Lobby. Probably more. It's not terribly hard to do. Penciling top and bottom or vertical guide lines helps a lot.

I did it that way on this pair of TLP Ajaxes.

bernomatic 03-28-2017 09:54 PM

Hmmmm...

It might take me a little bit, but I am trying to do some of the old decals by screen printing at the Starport. How soon do you need them?

dwmzmm 03-29-2017 12:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Since the decals are all black I would think it wouldn't be that hard to replicate with black adhesive film and adhesive Helvetica letters and numbers.

When I built my clone of the Estes Thor Agena B back in 2009, I pretty much did just that, used black monokote with an extra sharp X-Acto to make the lines and checkerboard on the payload section. I happen to have a numbers decal sheet nearly the size of the "298" I could use.

hcmbanjo 03-29-2017 12:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's something I drew up when I made my clone. It's attached below the post.

The first page is the nozzle and gussets to be printed on 110 lb. cardstock.
Page two are the Thor Agena B decals and some NASA, UNITED STATES and flags I added so the remaining half sheet wouldn't go to waste.

The black Thor Agena B decal really have to be printed in a opaque black or they will look like a dark gray over the white rocket body.