Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tangled Shroud Lines (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=208)

barone 06-07-2005 10:45 PM

Tangled Shroud Lines

Don't know if it's just me or if others have the same problem.....

I can't stand the way my shroud lines get twisted and have to sit and try to figure out which way to route my swivel hook to get the tangles out :mad: . So, what I've done is taken the center punch out from card stock motor mounts and cut small slits in the outer edge about 45 degrees apart (eight slits for those rocket scientist among us ;) ), slip the shroud lines into them and glue as close to the swivel as I can get. Works well on larger diameter rockets (BT50 and >). My brother-in-law actually made one for me out of plastic cut in a circle with holes drilled through it to thread the shroud lines through. Nice, neat, tangle free shroud lines. I'm planning on flying my Saturn V with 36" parachutes and used the clear plastic fake disc that comes in the blank CD/DVD cakes for my "shroud line tangle preventer" :confused: .

JRThro 06-23-2005 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Don't know if it's just me or if others have the same problem.....

I can't stand the way my shroud lines get twisted and have to sit and try to figure out which way to route my swivel hook to get the tangles out :mad: . So, what I've done is taken the center punch out from card stock motor mounts and cut small slits in the outer edge about 45 degrees apart (eight slits for those rocket scientist among us ;) ), slip the shroud lines into them and glue as close to the swivel as I can get. Works well on larger diameter rockets (BT50 and >). My brother-in-law actually made one for me out of plastic cut in a circle with holes drilled through it to thread the shroud lines through. Nice, neat, tangle free shroud lines. I'm planning on flying my Saturn V with 36" parachutes and used the clear plastic fake disc that comes in the blank CD/DVD cakes for my "shroud line tangle preventer" :confused: .

I sometimes have the same problem. A carboard disc "shroud line tangle preventer" sounds pretty cool and useful. Has anyone else ever used or seen something like this?

I was going to start to wonder if this device would make the shroud lines more likely to break, but since I've never broken a shroud line that wasn't also burnt by the ejection charge, I won't even start down that path.
;)

Thor 07-12-2005 06:51 AM

The method I have been using is with 4 snap swivels on 6 line chutes. One of these is larger than the others. I put one snap swivel on two lines, then the second on the next two lines, and the third on the last two lines. Take all three of these smaller swivels and attach them all to the circle at the end of the larger swivel, now attach the larger swivel to the cone. When ever you tangles you simple detach each of the three small swivels and easily detangle then reattach them. Works for me.