Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Current Kit Talk (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Semroc SST Shuttle 1 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=500)

dtomko 10-14-2005 11:29 PM

Semroc SST Shuttle 1

2 Attachment(s)
Has anyone else started building theirs?
Drew Tomko

ghrocketman 10-15-2005 07:12 AM

Nope...not yet....I have one of the lowest prod# kits, but will start soon.

dtomko 10-16-2005 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a few coats of primer on today, in the wind, so I got a couple coats of primer on me as well :o

dtomko 10-20-2005 03:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sprayed the SST white today. Here are the booster and glider.
Drew

Tau Zero 10-22-2005 10:39 PM

(Centuri) SST-1 and SST-2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
Sprayed the SST white today. Here are the booster and glider.

Drew,

It looks great! Keep us posted on your progress!

Say, here's a question I've been wondering about since drifting back into the hobby 5 years ago: Was there *really* any difference between Centuri's SST Shuttle-1 and -2? It seems to me that I had an SST-2, which had plastic nose cones. (BTW, I just remembered Mike Jerauld has my BAR-purchased Centuri SST Shuttle nose and tail cones somewhere in his refurbished "digs.")

Did the SST-1 have *balsa* cones? (Except for the ramjet intake and exhaust cones.)

Curious, as always,

--Jay

dtomko 10-24-2005 08:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Jay!.
I'm not sure there was any difference between the "1" and the "2." I don't know if the SST Shuttle ever had balsa cones, since it would have had plastic ramjet cones from the start, so Centuri must have been using plastic at least that far back. Perhaps Carl has the skinny.
I decaled the booster last night. I sanded down the glider again because of a few obvious glitches. Now I have to wait for dry weather here in the east to repaint it. :(

Royatl 10-24-2005 09:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Jay!.
I'm not sure there was any difference between the "1" and the "2." I don't know if the SST Shuttle ever had balsa cones, since it would have had plastic ramjet cones from the start, so Centuri must have been using plastic at least that far back. Perhaps Carl has the skinny.
I decaled the booster last night. I sanded down the glider again because of a few obvious glitches. Now I have to wait for dry weather here in the east to repaint it. :(

I'm pretty sure the first SST Shuttle I had used a plastic nose, as Centuri went with plastic early for the 1" and under tubes. The initial ramjet pieces were vac-formed. My second SST had injection molded pieces.

Tau Zero 10-24-2005 10:43 PM

Drew's "SST Shuttle" ROCKS!

Quote:
Thanks, Jay! [snip] I decaled the booster last night. I sanded down the glider again because of a few obvious glitches. Now I have to wait for dry weather here in the east to repaint it. :(
(stunned look) *Dang,* Drew. That's quite saliva-inducing! :D ;) Good thing I wasn't leaning over my keyboard, or I'd be "electri-FRIED" right now! :eek: :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero 10-24-2005 10:46 PM

SST Shuttles "1" and "2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I'm pretty sure the first SST Shuttle I had used a plastic nose, as Centuri went with plastic early for the 1" and under tubes. The initial ramjet pieces were vac-formed. My second SST had injection molded pieces.
(the sound of illumination dawning) *Ah.* Roy comes through! :D :cool: Thanks for the clarification. :)

Cheers,

--Jay
(who will have to start saving up even MORE "Semroc pennies" to buy an SST Shuttle now) ;)

dtomko 11-02-2005 09:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
All finished.
Drew