Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Current Kit Talk (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Boyce Aerospace Hobbies (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16088)

jetlag 02-27-2018 07:24 AM

New Boyce 1/14 scale Nike Her!

Hey folks,
Check out the boyceaerospacehobbies.com site.
He's offering a new 1/14 scale Nike Hercules. Details are there.
I pre-ordered one.
4x24mm to 1x24mm, 2 stage.

It's really pretty.

Allen

blackshire 02-27-2018 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Hey folks,
Check out the boyceaerospacehobbies.com site.
He's offering a new 1/14 scale Nike Hercules. Details are there.
I pre-ordered one.
4x24mm to 1x24mm, 2 stage.

It's really pretty.

Allen
Indeed! I got their announcement e-mail about this new kit today (well--yesterday now, at this hour), and I also forwarded it to several scale space modelers I know in the U.S., the UK, and Australia, as Boyce Aerospace Hobbies requested in their kit announcement message (what's next--1:1 scale Redeye, Grail, Blowpipe, and Stinger MANPADS with launchers? :-) ). This Nike-Hercules' scale is Brobdingnagian for me (my apartment), but others are not so limited, and I'm glad to see this kit being made available for them. Also:

With a long-burning composite motor in its second stage, R/C guidance, Sun-seeking guidance (such model rockets have flown), and even infrared or radio homing onto a transmitter-equipped target model (say, an R/C EDF jet, or a Corporal or Lance missile model [the Nike-Hercules had a limited anti-missile as well as anti-aircraft capability]) could be incorporated into such a large model. The "warhead" could be a tempera paint powder or powdered colored chalk "burst" dispersed by an air-agitator-type device activated at intercept (rather like in the Enerjet "Nike-Ram" version of the Centuri Nike-Smoke scale model), which wouldn't actually damage either model.

ghrocketman 02-27-2018 12:42 PM

Would love to have one of these new Nike-Hercules kits, but I NEVER, EVER do "pre ordering" of anything.
I know this probably won't be the case here as Boyce has a great reputation, but I won't ever take the chance.
If they were available to be ordered and shipped as soon as ordered, I would order one tomorrow.
I find the entire "pre ordering" nonsense quite irritating anyway....it feels like someone is trying to eliminate risk from doing business....Ferrari can get away with that sort of thing, short of that, I'm not biting.

If it was "reserve" without paying until able to be shipped, that would be different. I'm not paying for something until it is ready to be sent out.

blackshire 02-28-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Would love to have one of these new Nike-Hercules kits, but I NEVER, EVER do "pre ordering" of anything.
I know this probably won't be the case here as Boyce has a great reputation, but I won't ever take the chance.
If they were available to be ordered and shipped as soon as ordered, I would order one tomorrow.
I find the entire "pre ordering" nonsense quite irritating anyway....it feels like someone is trying to eliminate risk from doing business....Ferrari can get away with that sort of thing, short of that, I'm not biting.

If it was "reserve" without paying until able to be shipped, that would be different. I'm not paying for something until it is ready to be sent out.
I would feel the same way, if they were a brand-new company with no previously-developed, available products, and with no track record. But none of these things are the case for them, so--if I were in the market for a scale Nike-Hercules kit of this size--I would happily pre-order it from them.

ghrocketman 03-01-2018 07:54 AM

The owners of Launch magazine were "well established" too.
I'm not taking even a 0.01% chance of not getting a product I pay for.
Even based on the website for this rocket it states they are not even ordering the printer to do the kit work until they have like 40 pre-orders. Financing through ordering ? No thanks.

blackshire 03-01-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The owners of Launch magazine were "well established" too.
I'm not taking even a 0.01% chance of not getting a product I pay for.
Even based on the website for this rocket it states they are not even ordering the printer to do the kit work until they have like 40 pre-orders. Financing through ordering ? No thanks.
At those odds, I would never even risk going downstairs to check my mail each day :-) , but to each his own... Being completely trusting is, of course, foolish, but being the opposite is not a pleasant way to live; a middle way, a gray path between the two extremes, is preferable.

ghrocketman 03-01-2018 10:02 AM

I'm totally against the principle of "pre available order payment".
I have no interest in providing short-term financing of businesses unable to produce product without that. The ROI is essentially zero. I don't care if it is for $100 or $100k

jetlag 03-02-2018 05:52 AM

You're not charged until Alex has accumulated the 40 orders needed to do the run. As I read it, one is not out anything until he is ready to make the kit.
Not a problem for me, as I have several of his stellar offerings, and he and Sheree have provided similar service.
Wish I could commit to 2!
Allen

blackshire 03-02-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
You're not charged until Alex has accumulated the 40 orders needed to do the run. As I read it, one is not out anything until he is ready to make the kit.
Not a problem for me, as I have several of his stellar offerings, and he and Sheree have provided similar service.
Wish I could commit to 2!
Allen
That sounds perfectly reasonable (and I trust them). The several pre-ordered books that I have always received, and which were always shipped out on the previously announced dates that were given months in advance, by Amazon.com (they are volumes of Dana Simpson's "Phoebe and Her Unicorn" comic strip compilation [plus a graphic novel] series of books), worked in precisely the same way as Boyce Aerospace Hobbies' pre-ordering (except for Boyce's minimum total orders "threshold"). I placed the book pre-orders online, but my debit card wasn't charged until the books' release dates. After my payments went through (on those same days), the books were shipped out on those days.

ghrocketman 03-02-2018 09:57 AM

Well if there are any extras produced or any left over, I will be in line to buy one.
Just not going to plunk down any $$$ for product unless it is ready to ship.
Like I said before, maybe for a Ferrari, but nothing less.