Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Plans & Publications (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I have plans for AAA PA Crude (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=8629)

J Blatz 02-10-2011 05:02 PM

I have plans for AAA PA Crude

Another classic from AAA. 2.6 diameter, 29mm mount, simple 3FNC rocket that can fly on D-F and maybe even G.

PM me and get the plans if you want 'em, and how about it guys - let's hear some AAA PA Crude stories!!!

barone 02-10-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Blatz
Another classic from AAA. 2.6 diameter, 29mm mount, simple 3FNC rocket that can fly on D-F and maybe even G.

PM me and get the plans if you want 'em, and how about it guys - let's hear some AAA PA Crude stories!!!

Still got my email?

stefanj 02-10-2011 06:27 PM

One of my first midpower kits was a Magnum Penn Crude.

I got a lot of flights out of that model. I flew it on an incredible variety of motors before giving it away.

The Penn Crude itself, I never bought, but like a lot of AAA kits I regret missing out on the chance.

J Blatz 02-10-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
One of my first midpower kits was a Magnum Penn Crude.

I got a lot of flights out of that model. I flew it on an incredible variety of motors before giving it away.

The Penn Crude itself, I never bought, but like a lot of AAA kits I regret missing out on the chance.

If you care to build a Magnum PA Crude clone, PM me for plans.

Yes, there is more.

jbuscaglia 02-11-2011 09:26 AM

The PA Crude was one of my favorite rockets. I used it to get my NAR HPR certification under the old rules (fly a G, get certified for H). G40 at NARAM 32 in Dallas. I also used it for Spot Lannding at NARAM 37 on an FSI F100.

I still have the payload section. Don't recall what happened to the rest of it. It was lost many years ago. I bought a replacement kit, but never got around to building it. I pull it out of the box from time to time and think about starting it.

Green Dragon 02-11-2011 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
John, NARAM 37 was the one in Geneseo ? that was my first NARAM, flew a K550 there ;)

PA crude is a nice kit, lost a few of those. still have on ( silver one in pic ) and a clone ( LOC parts,Estes cone as original used, and original AAA deals ) .

thanks again to Jason who is working hard posting all these, I for one appreciate his efforts :) .

~ AL

jbuscaglia 02-11-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
John, NARAM 37 was the one in Geneseo ? that was my first NARAM, flew a K550 there ;)

Yeah, that's the one. When I was writing the post, I couldn't remember how many n's and s's were in Geneseo, so I left it out! :)

Green Dragon 02-11-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuscaglia
Yeah, that's the one. When I was writing the post, I couldn't remember how many n's and s's were in Geneseo, so I left it out! :)

May have met you there, then.

I only attended Sat-Sunday with my brother and Father ( VERY HOT sleeping in the dorm rooms, eww ) .
Then Thursday fo rthe manufacts demos / sport flying.

Flew a few, mid to HPR stuff, the ones I recall was my purple Bruiser @ K550, and a Ace Eagle clone on 3 x F101s :)

The F100 spot landing sounds fun, must have been one of the last years they were ok for contest flights.

~ AL

Jerry Irvine 02-11-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Ace Eagle clone on 3 x F101s :)
~ AL
That's old skewl dude!

Jerry!

FAA exempt . . .

Green Dragon 02-12-2011 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
That's old skewl dude!

Jerry!

FAA exempt . . .

:)

I do what I can.

I have video of that flight, too. and how the Narbies were all worried it would shred ( remember this was 15 yrears ago, so very little HPR was flown at NARAM )

As for old school - that sort of flight exactly reminds me of what my mentor and 'idol' Chuck Mund was flying at PA launches early 80s , that got me hooked forever on HPR. ( and am trying to recreat with my nostalgia / vintage HPR ( what would now be considered mid-power ).

Actually , I still have that rocket, originally was built from, iirc, original Ace tubes and Estes PNC80. been rebuilt due to stripped chutes on a couple flights resulting in a crimp. Now repainted.

( photo to the right - this bird at last years NYPower, did not fly due to time constraints - think the fins are slightly off the original Ace version, maybe Jerry can comment, maybe can't see em good in that pic - I originally scaled them of fthe old Ace ad line drawings, so .... )

~ AL