Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Year is 1992, The Place is AeroTech (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10396)

Initiator001 12-18-2011 12:08 AM

The Year is 1992, The Place is AeroTech

The year 1992 was a pivotal time for hobby rocketry.

How so, you ask?

Welcome to another installment of "Bob's Wacky History of Model Rocketry".

Let me go back one year.

1991 had started out rough for AeroTech/ISP but the year ended very positive, financially, for the company.

To celebrate, the company had a paid dinner for the staff at a fancy restaurant in Las Vegas. It was during this dinner that something I had said months earlier would come back to haunt me.

For several months, I had been pushing for the the development of new rocket kits. When we had pitched the AeroTech product line to distributors back at the 1990 Chicago RCHTA Show, we had been told that we needed to have a least twelve rocket kits before any distributor would pick up the product line. However, the response to the AeroTech product line had been so strong, the distributors had purchased the line with the understanding that additional kits would be released 'soon'.

I had developed some ideas for new kits but had been stymied by a lack of interest and $$$ for product creation. The Reloadable Motor System (RMS) was now available in 18mm, 24mm and 29mm sizes along with HPR versions. Sales were good.

AeroTech would be exibiting at the Los Angeles RCHTA Show in the Spring of 1992. The LA RCHTA Show was considered a low key affair with the Chicago RCHTA Show held in October being the location for new product announcements.

AeroTech was about to think outside the box, again. ;)

As the AeroTech staff enjoyed their expensive, free meal, Gary Rosenfield and Paul Hans were having a quiet discussion. Paul was a old-time NAR member from the early 1960s who had been 'B' Divison NAR National Champion and flew the first movie camera in a 'model' rocket (See the 7th Edition of "The Handbook of Model Rocketry", pages 238-239). Paul had been a major investor in Enertek and when that company folded, he had bought up that company's assets at auction and transferred them to AeroTech/ISP for interest in that company.

At a point during the meal, Gary and Paul wanted to talk with me. I was asked if I had any ideas for some new rocket kits. I told them I had several concepts in mind.

Then the bombshell dropped.

"Could you have prototypes ready for photography in two weeks?"

(To be continued)

Initiator001 12-18-2011 01:17 AM

(Continued)

"Could you have prototypes ready for photography in two weeks?"

I was taken aback. Why the sudden interest and the rush?

Gary and Paul explained. They wanted to make a big splash at the LA RCHTA Show. This would catch the competition off-guard plus renew interest in the product line prior to the Chicago RCHTA Show. Spring and Summer were the big rocket 'seasons' for the hobby distributors and by exhibiting and making new product available would get AeroTech additional sales.

Why the rush for new kit prototypes? AeroTech would have a new catalog available for the LA RCHTA Show and the lead times required that photography happen as soon as possible due to production and printing lead times.

It was up to me.

"Okay", I said.

The next workday, I met with Gary. I had ideas for five new kits. If the Astrobee-D was finally put into production, that would make six kits. I asked if I had any budget for new parts (Nose cones, fins, etc.).

I was informed there would be no new money for nose cones or fins (The Astrobee-D was the exception but it would be the last of the kits put into production). Some money would be available for small parts. Body tubes were no big deal because they were relatively inexpensive. Decals, instructions and packaging was going to be the major expenses but even those had to be kept as inexpensive as possible.

With those groundrules, I went to work.

I lucked out on the 'no new fin design' issue. When the fin mold for the IQSY Tomahawk was designed, Dan Meyer had designed the fin mold so the trailing edge could be changed out. Also, the Tomahawk and HV Arcas fins had been designed so that both fins could be used with 1.9" and 2.6" diameter body tubes. The bad news was the Tomahawk and Arcas fins were in the same mold base so every parts run consisted of both fin types. The HV Arcas sold much better than the IQSY Tomahawk so we had boxes of Tomahwk fins stored at the shop.

Hmmm...

Okay, what if the trailing edge mold piece of the Tomahwk fin was rotated 180 degress to give a straight, cut-off edge to the back of the fin? Could that be done. A called to the plastic mold shop informed us that the trailing edge could be turned around. This fin design would come to be used for the Cheetah kit.

As I was thinking about the Cheetah fin, I asked if there was room in the mold for a different trailing edge insert for the Tomahawk fin. I was told yes and it wouldn't cost much. I asked the AeroTech management if I could have funding for a new trailing edge insert for the Tomahawk fin mold. It was approved. Dan created a new trailing edge insert which made the fin look somewhat-like an Aerobee-150A fin. This would become the Barracuda kit fin.

I still had many, many, many IQSY Tomahawk fins. I would have to come up with a kit which used four of those fins to use up the inventory. I decided to resurrect the Enertek Strong ARM model. The Enertek Strong ARM had been designed by Bill Stine and had a boat-tail on it. If I eliminated the boat-tail and used the Tomahawk fins, I would have a new kit. The plastic strakes could be made by extrusion and those types of molds were not expensive. The extrusion mold was approved.

Okay, now I had a different fin problem. Remember, the Tomahawk/Cheetah/Barracuda fin was in the same mold as the HV Arcas fin. Now I was going to have a bunch of Arcas fins from all the runs of fins for the Tomahawk/Cheetah/Baracuda kits. I needed a kit to use the Arcas fins. This kit would become the Wart-Hog. An extrusion mold was needed for the conduit tunnels on the kit and this was approved.

I needed one more kit. The Astrobee-D was going to be an expensive kit to produce with all the small scale parts needed. The fins were going to be big and expensive. Scale kits historically did not sell as well as sport kits. I needed to get more usage out of the Astrobee-D fin mold to increase the part run numbers and thereby lower the individual part cost. I decided to make a tall sport kit using three of the Astrobee-D fins. This would become the Mirage kit.

These new fins would not be ready for me to use to make my prototypes so I made the fins out of plywood or G-10 fiberglass (Miriage).

After ten days I had five new kits built and painted but no decals. In three days the models would be photographed. Since photography would take place in Phoenix (Paul was handling the picture taking) I figured I might as well drive to Phoenix, stay with Paul for a few days and the two of us could finish up the models.

Off I drove to Phoenix with my models. Paul and I hit art stores and bought all sorts of decals, sitckers, color sheets, etc. to apply to the models. Paul had come up with names for all the new kits and I had some ideas on how each model should be finished. It was a race against time but we finished up at 2:00 AM and we had to be at the photo shoot at 8:00 AM that morning. :eek:

(To be continued)

Ltvscout 12-18-2011 08:25 AM

Great stuff, Bob. Keep it coming!

Royatl 12-18-2011 10:48 AM

Riveting!

-- Gene Shalit, Today Show

Mesmerizing! Thumbs Up!

-- Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

Oliver 12-18-2011 10:54 AM

I agree, great inside information! Pls. continue!

Oliver

bob jablonski 12-18-2011 01:58 PM

Thanks for the history.
I'm all eye's
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

ManofSteele 12-18-2011 04:48 PM

I am glad you can remember all of that! As I am pulling stuff together for the NCR website, I realize how much I have forgotten until I find a photo or a plan.
Matt

Initiator001 12-19-2011 12:01 AM

Thanks for all the positive comments, folks!

Origianlly I had planned to only discuss what happened at the 1992 Los Angeles RCHTA Show but I felt more background was needed.

If my scanner continues to co-operate, my next post in this thread will have pictures. ;) :D

Gus 12-19-2011 01:22 AM

Great stuff, Bob!

Steve

Initiator001 12-21-2011 02:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
(Continued)

Where was I?

Oh, right.

Welcome back to "Bob's Wacky History of Model Rocketry". :D

When we last left our hero, he and Paul Hans had finished working on five new AeroTech kit prototypes.

Running on four hours sleep and adrenaline, Paul and I packed up our cars and drove to the photography studio on a cold Saturday Phoenix morning, arriving just before 8:00 AM.

This was a pretty good sized building. It had offices in the front and a large studio in the back of the building. I was told that auto makers would bring their cars here for photography.

The studio had a twenty-foot ceiling and no windows. It was also freakin' cold inside there!

It was a pretty neat place. The 'stage' area was raised off the ground about one foot and supported by an assembly of struts and supports. The backdrop was a single sheet of heavy paper ten feet wide and running from the back on to the stage platform and secured to the front of the platform. Flood lights, mirrors, filters were positioned around the stage. The photographer had about four/five assistants to help him and he shot the pictures while standing on a ladder or movable platforms.

Paul had assembled a group of friends to act as 'models' to pose with the rockets (They were all paid the going rate). One of the models was Paul's oldest daughter, another was a former military special forces member and one was our graphic design artist. I think there was six/seven of them.

One thing the photographer admonished us about was not to walk on the paper. A 'walkway' would be laid out for the models to get on the stage and into position and then the assitants would remove the walkways before the picture taking began.

Much time was spent getting the lighting just right. Mirrors, flood lights would be moved and repositioned for each picture.

After a few pictures were taken, the photographer decided he did not like the backdrop color. The stage was cleared and the assitants immediately begin to paint the backdrop and stage a different color. The staff worked fast and photography resumed in less than thirty minutes. :eek:

One neat photography trick I learned was that just before all the strobe/flood lights fired to take the picture a pre-strobe would fire to eliminate the 'red-eye' effect on the models. I had brought my personal 35mm camera to take pictures and ruined a shot by taking a picture with my flash just seconds before the actual picture was taken. I was told not to take pictures when the photographer announced he was ready.

The hardest part of the picture taking was getting all the models (people) in position and holding still for the pictures. The photographer was always calling out to the folks on stage where to look and what not to do, etc. With four or five people on the stage it could take awhile to get things right. It was not a job I would want to do.

Things moved along and by noon the building had warmed up enough so everyone was now in shirtsleeves (The models were always in shirtsleeves when on stage. Brrrr).

Photography went on until about 5:00 PM that afternoon. There was still a few pictures that needed to be taken so everyone had to go back to the studio on Sunday morning to wrap up the photography.

Things were just getting started and the race was on to see if everything would come together in time for the LA RCHTA Show! Stay tuned.

Attached are some behind-the-scenes pictures I took at the studio.

zog139 12-22-2011 01:27 PM

Bob who did the Phoenix belong to and do we know where it is today ?

Initiator001 12-23-2011 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog139
Bob who did the Phoenix belong to and do we know where it is today ?

Jim,

The Phoenix in the picture is one of the original models built by Bob Parks.

I do not know what happened to it.

Rocketcrab 12-23-2011 07:15 AM

Great stuff as usual, Bob! Thanks. :)

GuyNoir 12-24-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Jim,

The Phoenix in the picture is one of the original models built by Bob Parks.

I do not know what happened to it.

I asked Bob Parks if he still had the model and got this back in reply:

"Nope. That model had about 200 flights on it, and then got grabbed to be a display model at trade shows. (did not even redo the covering on it, it was still in great shape). So, Gary had it, but not sure what happened to it."

Initiator001 12-25-2011 12:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
(Continued)

The static model photography had been completed and catalog design/layout moved into high gear.

It was during this time that AeroTech had to deal with some major issues caused directly/indirectly by the Estes management, the biggest one being the 'exploding' reload video created by Vulcan Systems and distributed by Estes to the DOT and CPSC (Among others).

Gary and Paul dealt with these issues while I concentrated on things related to the LA RCHTA Show and getting sales.

As the catalog took shape, there were a few more ideas/projects that appeared.

The first was did we want to highlight more information about the three different propellant types AeroTech was producing (White Lightning, Black Jack, Blue Thunder)? It was decided that there should be pictures of AeroTech models being flown with the three different propellants in the catalog. We couldn't use any of the new models as we only had the prototypes of each one and they were needed for the RCHTA Show.

I did have flight models of the original AeroTech kits (Initiator, Mustang, Arreaux and IQSY Tomahawk). The flight model HV Arcas was damaged and couldn't be flown. I was asked about having a flight model Astrobee D. We only had the photo model which could not be risked being flown. I contacted the builder of the Astrobee D photo model, Marc McReynolds, to ask if he could build another Astrobee D but this time make it very sturdy and flight capable. It did not have to have alot of detail, just look good from about ten feet away. Marc said he could and do it in a hurry. I shipped him a box of parts and less than two weeks later we had a 'flight' Astrobee D model. It looked pretty good. The main thing I noticed was that Marc had used 1/4" thick balsa wood for the fins and they were strongly mounted to the body tube.

The day of flight photography arrived. Gary, Paul and I headed out to El Dorado dry lake outside of Las Vegas and future site of NARAM-34. While I readied the models, Paul and Gary set up the Mantis launch pad and launch controller. Gary would be the photographer because he had the best camera (SLR, It could shoot multiple frames per second).

Each model was flown several times with different propellant loads and we hoped that we would get some good pictures.

Paul really liked the Wart-Hog model. It was his favorite of the new kits. Paul had a different finishing scheme in mind for the model and had built a Wart-Hog to reflect his idea. Paul preferred a more sounding rocket look as opposed to my military missile look. Paul's Wart-Hog was flown and photographed but the pictures were not used in the catalog.

After the pictures were developed, we were glad to see there was at least one good picture of each propellant type that could be used in the catalog (The Blue Thunder propellant was the most difficult to photograph).

As the catalog moved to completion and Paul and I wrote copy for it, another major issue arose. Bob Parks, designer of the Phoenix glider, had another R/C rocket glider he thought would make a good product to sell. This was the Raven which was an S8E design he had used in international rocket competitions. Bob thought AeroTech could sell it but it would need to get into the catalog.

After many discussions on the subject, no decision had been made and the absolute final cut-off date for catalog design/layout was approaching. One final meeting/conferance call occurred with all of the major participants. We had some layout artwork for the Raven to be used in the catalog but it was going to be a push to get it finished in time. Production time for the Raven was also an issue.

None of the principals could make a decision. So I did. I stated that there wasn't any more time, that the Raven would NOT be in this catalog and could always be added in a future catalog. It was quiet for a moment then everyone else said "okay".

I won that round.

The catalog was now in production and I could turn my attention more to the logistics for the LA RCHTA Show. As I was putting things for the Show together, i received a call from the Show management staff. It seemed one of the major exhibitors had to drop out and their space was now available.

"Where was the location", I asked?

"First aisle, on the right as one enters the exhibit hall, facing the entrance", I was told.

I didn't say anything. I was so surprised. What a prime location!

Usually I would check with Gary and/or Paul but a decision had to be made fast before another company secured the space.

"I'll take it", I told the caller.

He said, "Fine" and put AeroTech in that location. There was no increase in the booth space cost, either. :)

Things were coming together nicely for AeroTech at the LA RCHTA Show. The Phoenix glider, five new rocket kits plus the Astrobee D, the RMS-18/24/29 reloadable motors (With 'B' and 'C' loads for the RMS-18) and a new, multi-page catalog would be making their appearance. I was psyched.

Even so, the Estes management was expending quite a bit of effort to disrupt AeroTech's reputation and existance. I fielded calls from hobby distributors and shops about rumors that AeroTech was going out of buisiness/had already gone out of business. I told the callers that AeroTech was fine and if they wanted to be sure, come see us at the LA RCHTA Show.

As Gary and I packed to leave for the RCHTA Show, the catalogs were still not ready. It was going to be close. Gary requested that the printing company send several thousand of the catalogs straight to the RCHTA exhibit hall.

As Gary and I left Las Vegas bound for Los Angeles, we had good thoughts about the upcoming RCHTA Show. Our only concern was the catalogs. Would they arrive in time?

For the answer to this question and what transpired at the 1992 LA RCHTA Show, you will just have to wait for my next installment. What happened at the show would send shockwaves all the way back to Penrose. ;) :D

foamy 01-02-2012 06:52 AM

Bump.

Initiator001 01-07-2012 08:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
(Continued)

Gary Rosenfield and I made the drive from Las Vegas to Los Angeles in 5-6 hours. It was uneventful (If one can say that about Los Angeles traffic).

We decided to go straight to the exhibit hall, get our name badges/passess, unload Gary's Nissan Pathfinder of the Show items (booth, models, etc.) then check in at the hotel.

The next day, Thursday, Gary and I started putting the booth together and getting everything set up. A one point Gary left to pick up Paul Hans from LAX. Bob Parks would be arriving from the Bay Area. This would give us four people to staff the booth. It also meant that each of us would have plenty of time during the Show to look around and view the other exhibits.

The booth went together fine and eveything was set. We organized our handouts and I took pictures of the booth. Even so, the catalogs did not arrive.

Friday was the opening day of the Show. The booth looked great. The location was great. The only missing element was the catalogs.

An hour before the Show opened at 10:00 AM, an UPS delivery driver stopped at our booth with a cart full of boxes. He said he had a delivery for AeroTech. Gary signed for the boxes. It was the catalogs!

We tore open one of the boxes and pulled out sveral catalogs. The two of us proceeded to review it page by page. We thought it turned out pretty good. Next, we had to insert the Motor Matrix sheet into each catalog. The Motor Matrix was a list of all the motors (single-use and RMS), their specifications and which ones worked in the AeroTech kits.

The Show opened and our booth received alot of attention. We passed out quite a few catalogs and answered many questions.

Other hobby rocket companies were present, too. Impuse Aerospace and THOY had booths. MRC had a window display of the Concept II products. Estes had a booth (More about Estes later).

One of AeroTech's biggest distributors, California Hobby Distributors (CalHobby), had asked if we would give a presentation to their sales staff during the Show. The AeroTech buyer for CalHobby was a fellow named Alan Iwig and he really thought AeroTech rocketry was the next big thing. Alan was a very positive, energetic person who in the past had been a Captain in the USAF and was assigned to Project Blue Book (He told me some stories but that's not for this thread).

I was to give the presentation away from the exhibit hall at a hotel where CalHobby had rented a meeting room. I made sure that plenty of the new product had been shipped to Alan early to be placed around the room. This was a very big deal as CalHobby had been around for about fifty years and was respected in the industry. CalHobby only selected six to eight companies to give presentations to them so alot was riding on me to get this right. Each presenter was given 45-60 minutes to make their presentation and answer questions. I was ready.

It was great. I really had my 'A-game' that day. My presentation ended up lasting nearly two-hours. The interest and excitement level from the CalHobby sales staff and management was high. They asked other presenters to wait. After my presentation, Alan told me I hit one out of the park. He told me I did a great job, even the company owner/president was impressed with the product and my presentation.

I went back to the exhibit hall and reported on what happened. We all felt like things were really going well for AeroTech. We were one of the few companies exhibiting new product at the Show. Both the indutry and public days saw many people stop to see what was happening with a company named AeroTech.

The Show ended Sunday afternoon. We felt pretty good about our efforts. Several buyers for hobby distributors told us to expect order for the new product shortly. Paul and Bob took off while Gary and I took down the booth and packed all the models, etc. Gary and I then drove from Los Angeles back to Las Vegas. Even though we were tired out we were psyched and kept talking about the Show and future product ideas.

The week after the Show, we started getting orders for the new products and re-orders for the original products. Things were going to get busy for us.

Oh, about Estes. That will have to wait until my next installment. ;) :D

Ltvscout 01-08-2012 07:45 PM

Bob,

For the people that are new/newer to the hobby, can you give names to the four gentlemen in the last photo?

Initiator001 01-09-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Bob,

For the people that are new/newer to the hobby, can you give names to the four gentlemen in the last photo?

Be glad to, Scott.

The four people in the last picture are (L-R): Gary Rosenfield, Bob Parks, Me, Paul Hans.

More to come, soon. ;)

GregGleason 01-09-2012 08:58 AM

Good stuff, Bob!

Can't wait for the next episode.

Greg

Rocketflyer 01-09-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Good stuff, Bob!

Can't wait for the next episode.

Greg

Understatement. :)

Initiator001 01-14-2012 08:04 PM

Estes

When Estes had a display at the Chicago RCHTA/iHobby Show (Now the Cleveland iHobby Show) during the Barry Tunick years, the company pulled out all the stops. Usually a 20' x 20' walled booth with 20-30 staff and a rent-a-cop at the entrance to keep the 'undesireables' out (Like me ;) ). This provided lots of coverage and gave the staff plenty of time to get out, look around, get something to eat, etc.

The LA RCHTA Show was completely different. It was a 5' x 10' space with a backdrop and table and chair at the aisleway. It had a staff of one.

That one staff member was a fellow named Bill Dillman.

Bill was the (Western) Regional Sales Manager for Estes until he retired a few years ago. He was/is a friendly and pleasant person. He didn't care much for the way Tunick ran things and was heard to say, "I don't care what Barry thinks".

As time went on, his comments became, "Don't let Barry know I said that" or "Don't let Barry find out I let you in the booth to take pictures".

Even with Bill having to watch his back, he still was a straight-upfront guy. If you asked him a question he would answer it. At the 1992 LA RCHTA Show, I asked Bill about the "Composite Engines Coming Soon" sign seen in the booth. It was the same sign seen at the Chicago RCHTA Show six months earlier. "Bob", Bill said, "They just sent me the sign and said to show it in the booth. I don't know anything else". I later learned he was being truthful, as the management in Penrose did not know at the time what they were going to do about making composite motors.

I don't know if all trade shows have this rule but at RCHTA Shows the booth contract stated that each booth must be staffed by a representative of the exhibiting company at all times during show hours. If a booth was discovered not to be staffed, that company would loose the right to exhibit at the next show. This was never a concern for AeroTech as we had between two to five staff at the Show at any given time. For Bill, he would ask one of the members of a local rocket club to watch his booth while he took a break.

This did not always happen for Bill.

It's the Saturday of the 1992 LA RCHTA Show. Weekends were the public days and there was a lot of foot traffic in the building. I was out of the AeroTech booth, walking around the exhibit hall checking out all the neat hobby stuff.

"Bob", I heard a voice call out.

I looked around and saw Bill motioning to me from his booth.

I walked over to the Estes booth.

ME: "Hi, Bill. What's up?"

BD: "Bob, can you watch my booth for a few miutes?"

Mind you, I'm wearing AeroTech logo clothing.

ME: "Uh, I don't know Bill. If Barry found out I was in your booth it might cause you trouble..."

BD: "Bob! I GOT TO GO!!!! " :eek:

ME: "Okay!"

Bill disappeared into the crowd.

All right then.

(To be continued)

Initiator001 01-14-2012 08:29 PM

Estes continued

4 Attachment(s)
So now.

Bill had run off to take care of 'business'. :eek:

I was now in charge of the Estes booth.

What should I do?

"Catalogs! Get your free 1992 Estes model rocket catalogs", I called out to the crowd.

People would stop to pick up a catalog, ask questions about Estes products, etc.

At no time did anyone say anything about the fact I was wearing AeroTech clothing. :D

I had been helping out in the Estes booth for about ten minutes when Bob Parks came by. He, also, was out of the AeroTech booth walking around the exhibit hall looking at the exhibits and taking pictures.

I explained to Parky what had happened and why I was in the Estes booth. He wanted in to the booth to get a close-up look at the Estes products so I let him in. Both of us were very interested in the AstroBlaster R/C glider which had yet to hit the store shelves. We decided to remove the glider from it's mounting and look it over. The two of us spent several minutes inspecting the AstroBlaster and determined it was just a mockup/prototype and re-mounted it.

Parky walked out in front of the booth and said, "Bob, how about I get a few pictures of you in the Estes booth?"

Why not?

Parky then proceeded to take pictures of me in the booth, holding an Impulse rocket display model and handing out catalogs to Show attendees. After that, Parky moved on.

Bill was gone 20-25 minutes before he returned. He seemed much more relaxed, less stressed. :D

I told him what had happened while he had been gone (I left out the part about Parky). He thanked me for watching the booth and I returned to my exploration of the other exhibits.

A few weeks later, Parky sent me copies of the pictures he had taken of me in the Estes booth. These pictures have never been seen outside of my picture album.

Until now. ;)

(Stay tuned for the Estes reaction to AeroTech).

GregGleason 01-14-2012 11:04 PM

This is truly, "Bill and Bob's Most Estes Adventure". :D

Those pictures are now a priceless part of the "interesting" history of consumer rocketry.

Amazing stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to post it, Bob.

Greg

Ltvscout 01-15-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:
A few weeks later, Parky sent me copies of the pictures he had taken of me in the Estes booth. These pictures have never been seen outside of my picture album.

Until now. ;)

(Stay tuned for the Estes reaction to AeroTech).

This is great stuff, Bob! Thank you for sharing it with us.

ghrocketman 01-16-2012 09:24 AM

Hilarious pics.

bob jablonski 01-17-2012 09:25 AM

The Estes story reminded me of my first Ihobby show. I was on the other side of the wall from LOC and Aerotech. The person next to them didn't show so we asked MGT. if I could move my booth. We had a mini rocket row. My wife made chocolet chip cookies (lucky it was a large batch). A few dealers asked "arn't you saposed to be at booth ####?" But I did pick up my second distributor, and I was on another couple distributors raidar. and picked up dozens of new dealers.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude

Initiator001 01-19-2012 06:17 PM

Estes Reaction

AeroTech had a very successful 1992 LA RCHTA Show.

New catalog and new products. Not a company having problems that were affecting other hobby manufacturers at that time.

This was not what Barry Tunick was expecting.

At the conclusion of the 1992 LA RCHTA Show, Bill Dillman came over to the AeroTech booth and said his goodbyes to us. Bill was asked what he thought of the new AeroTech catalog.

Said Bill, "I put it in an Fedex overnight envelope to Penrose. They'll have it Monday morning".

The catalog reached Penrose the following Monday.

Tunick reviewed the catalog.

According to someone who was present in the room when Tunick finished looking at the the catalog (And I quote)...

"Barry had a cow!"

Tunick could not believe what he was seeing. All his efforts to put AeroTech out of buisness had, appartently, failed.

A new catalog.

New kits.

But what really got Tunick's attention was the announcement of 'B' & 'C' reloads for the RMS system priced comparable to what Estes was charging (Of course, a rocketeer still had to spend $40 for the RMS-18/20 casing).

To Tunick, this was a direct attack at Estes main revenue producing product. The C6-5 model rocket motor ousells all other 18mm model rocket motors. Now, AeroTech was offering C6-5 motors along with C6-3, C6-7, B6-4, etc.

First Quest, now AeroTech.

It was too much.

Tunick increased the activities to put AeroTech down by spreading negative rumors to hobby distributors/hobby shops, create issues for AeroTech with government agencies and the NFPA and even tried to get the NAR to ban reloadable motors.

As for me, I had to get all these new products into production! :eek:

(To be continued)

sandman 01-19-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:
AeroTech had a very successful 1992 LA RCHTA Show.

New catalog and new products. Not a company having problems that were affecting other hobby manufacturers at that time.

This was not what Barry Tunick was expecting.

At the conclusion of the 1992 LA RCHTA Show, Bill Dillman came over to the AeroTech booth and said his goodbyes to us. Bill was asked what he thought of the new AeroTech catalog.

Said Bill, "I put it in an Fedex overnight envelope to Penrose. They'll have it Monday morning".

The catalog reached Penrose the following Monday.

Tunick reviewed the catalog.

According to someone who was present in the room when Tunick finished looking at the the catalog (And I quote)...

"Barry had a cow!"

Tunick could not believe what he was seeing. All his efforts to put AeroTech out of buisness had, appartently, failed.

A new catalog.

New kits.

But what really got Tunick's attention was the announcement of 'B' & 'C' reloads for the RMS system priced comparable to what Estes was charging (Of course, a rocketeer still had to spend $40 for the RMS-18/20 casing).

To Tunick, this was a direct attack at Estes main revenue producing product. The C6-5 model rocket motor ousells all other 18mm model rocket motors. Now, AeroTech was offering C6-5 motors along with C6-3, C6-7, B6-4, etc.

First Quest, now AeroTech.

It was too much.

Tunick increased the activities to put AeroTech down by spreading negative rumors to hobby distributors/hobby shops, create issues for AeroTech with government agencies and the NFPA and even tried to get the NAR to ban reloadable motors.

As for me, I had to get all these new products into production! :eek:

(To be continued)

Gees, what a Richard!

Just abbreviate it.

ghrocketman 01-20-2012 11:27 AM

Just one more installment describing a POS dirtbag...not surprising though. It would be really funny to hear an honest candid commentary/evaluation of this person and how he ran the company by Vern. That would be entertaining no matter the outcome.

Remember kiddies, just say NO to $$$ from plastic toy so-called executives.

DaveR 01-20-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Gees, what a Richard!

Just abbreviate it.

Is Richard's last name Noggin? ;) :chuckle:

ghrocketman 01-20-2012 02:40 PM

I'm SURE that Richard's last name is Noggin !

Horaryelrod100 02-10-2012 09:34 AM

Fantastic story....love the pics. With all the multitude of mid-power offerings out there these days, the AT kits still have an "excitement" factor about them. With thier simplistic, but sturdy designs, great graphics, and stable characteristics, I for one am glad they've stayed the duration.

It's been in the back of my head for some time, but never asked: is there ever going to be any new kit offering from AT?.

P.s.......I kept a saved page from your response to my thread on the "other" forum about my old(er) AT single use motors.....the "Econo's" and your specific suggestion of not using them should the code read "902417". I've yet to open them and see, but your advice was well recieved. Thanks for being aware.

Leo 02-10-2012 10:06 AM

Love it

Thanks.

f=man 02-18-2012 01:56 PM

Great story.... Is Aero Tech ever going to update it 2009/2010 catalog ?? its 2012

GregGleason 02-18-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f=man
Great story.... Is Aero Tech ever going to update it 2009/2010 catalog ?? its 2012

I think this question was posted on Facebook some months ago, and I think the short answer was "maybe". Layout and publication costs are expensive, and I think that was part of the reason.

Greg

jetlag 02-19-2012 08:43 AM

Sure would be nice for AT to add some new kits sometime. Geez! The same ones since, what, 1995?
They are great kits, all. But most of us have been through them and would like something more...
How about reintroducing the Phoenix rocket plane? That is a GREAT model!

Allen

f=man 02-22-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Layout and publication costs are expensive, and I think that was part of the reason.

Greg

Everything Aero Tech is expensive??? :confused: :confused:

GregGleason 02-22-2012 09:36 PM

AFAIK, AeroTech's "bread-n-butter" are motor sales, not rockets. I have no idea what percentage belongs to what, but it may help to think of them as a "rocket motor company" rather than a larger version of Estes. The rockets they sell are the "vehicle" to get users interested in their core product, mid-power single use and reloadable motors.

AeroTech's primary competitor is CTI, and they do not sell any rocket kits.

Maybe if Bob knows otherwise, he will set the record straight.

Greg

Jerry Irvine 02-22-2012 11:47 PM

I already asked about kit sales figures and he didn't want to answer and my posts were moved to a new thread. Unanswered.

Jerry