Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vintage Farside Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2104)

scigs30 08-29-2007 05:39 PM

Vintage Farside Build

I am building a vintage Farside
http://rocketryforum.com/showthread...1944#post471944

dwmzmm 08-29-2007 08:11 PM

I got the same kit "in-the-bag" too, but already opened. For the second stage, I plan to
keep the fins straight instead of at a slight angle (I personally don't see the reason for adding the spin during flight).

Good luck with the build and keep us posted.

Doug Sams 08-29-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I am building a vintage Farside
What motors are you going to fly it on? Specifically, what first stage motor? Do you have some B14-0's? If you mod the 1st stage to accept 24mm motors, you have the option of using a D12-0, or the rare C11-0, but it's gonna creep up the rod if you're limited to a C6-0 or B6-0. (IMHO)

Doug

dwmzmm 08-29-2007 10:41 PM

That's what I was thinking of doing; build two versions of the first stage so I can use either
the D12-0 - vs - the 18 mm (I think I may still have a B14-0 somewhere in my collection
of old engines)....

ghrocketman 08-29-2007 11:47 PM

In the last 5 years or so of production Estes listed the C6-0 as an acceptable first stage engine without a payload in 3 stage configuaration.
The Centuri Arrow 300 also reccommended this....I have flown both 3 stage with a C6-0 in the booster with no problems.
The most impulse I ever used on the Farside was a C6-0, C6-0, B4-6 combo.
I did fly the Arrow 300 full stack once on a c6-0 to C6-0 to C6-7 with no problems, but was in zero wind at ground level....at 2500' AGL I have no idea what the wind was.

The old B14-0 and even B8-0 are tons better in getting them to move quick though.
The old Centuri C5-0 was the ultimate booster for these, but good luck finding any....I think i'm down to only 1/2 dozen or so....still hve plenty of B14-0's and B8-0's though ! :D :D

dwmzmm 08-30-2007 05:45 AM

If I remember correctly, a properly built Farside using the C6-0/C6-0/C6-7 staged combo
can top out around 2,670 feet altitude. One with a D12-0 first stage should be right about
(or under) 3,000 feet.

Rocket Doctor 08-30-2007 06:18 AM

Just imagine the kit weight of a Farside X, the Farside with a payload section. Also ,take into consideration the size of the fin surface.

If you want vintage, you need to build it stock with all kit parts. But, that doesn't say that you couldn't build an additional first stage booster using parts.

The main thing is enjoy what you are doing and have fun.

scigs30 08-30-2007 10:46 AM

RD, I agree, I am building vintage so I am building as per the directions. Two things that I noticed, one there are no decals, but the rocket on the cover has decals? The directions don't even show decals as part of the kit. Also the plans show a different parachute than what is supplied. And there is a shock cord mount but the directions show a thought the body mount. I am guessing this rocket came out later so these parachute changes were made.

Rocket Doctor 08-30-2007 11:42 AM

Probably the instruction were not updated to reflect the parts included in the kit.

Through the wall shock cord mounting techniques are from the early years of the hobby.

Even today, I would say there are at least a half dozen Estes kits that need the instructions updated to current standards.

This is something else that I suggested, but, was told that they were too busy to make changes, and, if a deco change were to be made or a discontinued kit would be reissued, then, the instructions would be updated.

You can only do what you think is correct and meets current standards.

I have seen instructions sowing the old type igniters listed.

scigs30 09-10-2007 11:09 AM

I have been real busy, and will be until the beginning of next year so my builds will be slow. I have my Farside primed and ready for top coat. I used 6 coats or Aerogloss and the fins came out smooth. I applied one coat of Krylon grey primer, sanded and one coat of flat Krylon white. I think I am going to switch to another brand of primer, since it is hard to sand the Krylon primer.