Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Coming soon to a Hobby Lobby near you (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16140)

jhein 07-31-2016 04:16 PM

Coming soon to a Hobby Lobby near you

I was just at my local Hobby Lobby here in Ft. Collins CO and noticed that they are doing their annual Estes clearance and display reset. I looked at the tags and several new rockets are coming soon or already here.

1) Pro Series II Star Orbiter
2) Goblin
3) Sequoia
4) Quinstar
5) Puma
6) Super Neon
7) Comanche 3
8) Super Nova
9) Expedition

Not a bad selection (for Hobby Lobby that is) of builders kits. Especially the Quinstar and Expedition and Star Orbiter. It's nice to see the continuing support for the PS2 line. Especially using the 40% for the E and F motors!

later
Jim

Newbomb Turk 08-09-2016 04:17 PM

Score! I went to the Lobby the weekend before last and saw they had marked down a lot of their peg warmers and bought the last Sky Writer to clone a Kadet or Stars Wars torpedo. I didn't notice any tags for the coming inventory.
After seeing this post I went back last Friday night and snagged the new Nike Smoke. They had a few other new ones as well. Went back the next day and bought the new Comanche 3 to use as a spare. (I have one built plus a vintage one in bag.) They had a peg marked for the Star Orbiter but it wasn't in yet. That one's my next target.

LeeR 08-09-2016 07:56 PM

I visit that Hobby Lobby too! We have been remodeling kitchen, so not much time for rockets in the past couple months, but we did go in before the end of July. Had the same old boring selection they've had for months, so I passed. Good to know some changes in product offerings coming (or maybe there now, we just got back from a much needed vacation.)

Blastfromthepast 09-08-2016 09:43 AM

The Hobby Lobby in Lone Tree (Denver) already has those kits on the pegs. I'm amazed at how many of them include balsa nose cones!
Might have to break out the penny jar.....

Newbomb Turk 09-06-2017 04:37 PM

FYI-With Fall flying season coming up I ran by the Lobby Saturday to pick up some extra booster engines. There was a big cart in front of the rocket section. On top of the cart was an almost full page color picture of the new store display. Two new (to HL) I noticed: the Protostar and the Nike-X. Will probably pick up at least a couple of Nike-X kits, a scale model I've never had before.

Scott_650 09-06-2017 07:01 PM

Sorry to be "that guy" but the Estes Nike-X isn't a scale model. It is a very good looking scale-like design, and as soon as my Hobby Lobby has them in stock I'm using my 40% coupon, but it isn't a scale model of any actual prototype. Kinda, sorta, if you squint a bit, it resembles the Nike-Zeus. I think that's what inspired the original Estes design.

Newbomb Turk 09-06-2017 08:23 PM

You're not That Guy, Scott. Thanks for the heads up. I had a feeling as soon as I posted that.

Scott_650 09-06-2017 08:41 PM

A discounted Protostar will be pretty much irresistible too. And if THAT was a scale model we would be living in the best of worlds! :-)

LeeR 09-07-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
FYI-With Fall flying season coming up I ran by the Lobby Saturday to pick up some extra booster engines. There was a big cart in front of the rocket section. On top of the cart was an almost full page color picture of the new store display. Two new (to HL) I noticed: the Protostar and the Nike-X. Will probably pick up at least a couple of Nike-X kits, a scale model I've never had before.

Those would be a welcome addition to our store's lack of interesting kits. I have not been to our store in over a week (!) so I'll have to take a look.

I have not seen any Booster-55 boxes -- I must have cleared them out finally.
I've built several rockets using them for the fin can, and I've got close to 10 in storage. I'm thinking about 'kitting" some rockets to give to kids at our club. Unless they become super collectible, and then I'll supply the hoards of eager buyers ... :)

BEC 09-08-2017 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ProtoStar and Nike-X in stock at my nearest HL: