Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   A school themed Astron Sprint XL (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15948)

aeppel_cpm 04-27-2016 07:29 PM

A school themed Astron Sprint XL

While gathering parts for another project, I ended up with the nose and tailcone for an Astron Sprint XL. So with a little hand cutting, I put a partial scratch build together.

I'm still missing one planned decal, but I just found the others on the table. No idea how long they've been sitting there. So I got the fins decorated tonight.

And...

mojo1986 04-27-2016 10:25 PM

Looks great! Really nice job on the engine hook, too!

aeppel_cpm 04-28-2016 07:23 AM

Thanks. I think Gordy did a great job on the Tech logo for me.

The engine hook cowling was molded into the tailcone, so it wasn't any particular skill of mine. The only trick I tried was to assemble the engine mount and aft centering ring and get it mounted into the tailcone before putting on the body tube. I lifted the engine hook and reached in with tweezers from the open end (centering ring not glued down yet) and put tape over the cowling groove. Then put epoxy in the bottom of the tailcone. Slid the centering ring back in place and taped around it and the tailcone shoulder to set the motor mount alignment.

ghrocketman 04-28-2016 11:48 AM

Good Grief !
A MTU themed Astron Sprint.
Back when I was a first-semester Senior in High School myself and two best friends were visiting universities to choose a university for our engineering education; we had already visited GMI (now Kettering U), U-of-M (Ann Arbor and Flint), MSU, and CMU.
They wanted me to go with them to check out Michigan Tech way up in Houghton in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I told them NO-FREAKIN'-WAY was I interested in driving like 15 hours to visit a campus I had no intention of attending. WAYYYY too cold and WAYYYY too far into the uncivilized wilderness.
They both ended up going to GMI and I went to U-of-M for engineering education, which I followed with a business degree at FSU in the middle of Michigan. The only reason I picked Michigan over GMI was I wanted summers off during college; I did not want to be constantly either studying full time or working full time all year during college like you had to attending GMI. Summers back then were one big long PARTY.

aeppel_cpm 04-28-2016 01:20 PM

It takes a certain kind of survivor to make it through Tech.

ghrocketman 04-28-2016 01:44 PM

Yeah, no joke.
I have cousins/Aunts/Uncles all over the U.P. from Newberry on West to Baraga/L'Anse and I NEVER go up there past St.Ignace (city just past the Mackinac Bridge) as it is just not an area I want to travel to. I'm a tropical-paradise kind of person that has ZERO affinity for 'wilderness'.

aeppel_cpm 04-28-2016 06:55 PM

I may fly with the WOOSH crowd at Bong now, but I've called Jackson, Leelanau and Keweenaw counties home.

My wife and I are both MTU survivors, and our elder boy has loved his Summer Youth Program weeks up there. Only partly because it gets him away from his younger brother.

chrism 04-28-2016 07:04 PM

Nice finish!