Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   New Estes Patriot Citation Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17073)

scigs30 01-12-2018 04:10 PM

New Estes Patriot Citation Build

I received my Estes Patriot Citation kit today and will begin building Mon. My camera is in the shop so I wont be able to download pictures until Mon. The kit looks great and I will compare it to my Vintage Citation boxed Patriot and my 1970s/80s bagged Patriot.

jeffyjeep 01-12-2018 04:24 PM

Great! How do the decals look?

Jerry Irvine 01-12-2018 04:52 PM

I have a standing order for many of them with a discount retailer. It will be interesting to see if the decals stay on at Mach 2.

Jerry

ghrocketman 01-12-2018 05:15 PM

It would be interesting to see if ANYTHING in that kit survives at Mach 2.

Jerry Irvine 01-12-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
It would be interesting to see if ANYTHING in that kit survives at Mach 2.
I will be including an original Estes Patriot in each M2 kit just for the decals. The original parts work just fine with a B6-2. :D

scigs30 01-12-2018 07:06 PM

They look pretty good, I will post pictures of all three kits I have and the decals.

scigs30 01-15-2018 03:41 PM

10 Attachment(s)
I am able to post pictures today, so I have all three of my kits open to show the minor differences. The New Citation decals look good and they are kind of a mix between the old Citation and the late 70s 80s version. The Vintage Citation stripes are longer than the second generation and the new Citation has the same length stripes as the Vintage boxed Citation. The Eagles wrap around the decal is shorter in height in the vintage Boxed Patriot and the two bagged versions are the same height. The old box Patriot decal has white ink where the newer kits its clear, probably since those areas of the rocket are painted white. The only other minor difference is the Estes Logo on the new released kit is over the T in both the Patriot wording.... In the two older kits the Estes Logo is over the T on one Patriot and over the P on the other. The motor mount tube is shorter on the new released kit vs the older two kits. Obviously the engine holder hook is different on the newer kit. The laser cut balsa is spot on with the exact same size fin as the older kits. The last thing to note is the 3 cones are identical in shape and size but obviously different generation nose cones. All and all a great bring back kit. More to follow.

scigs30 01-15-2018 03:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Couple of more pictures

Chas Russell 01-15-2018 03:51 PM

Which kit has the shorter main body tubes? Appears to be the boxed Citation version. Sorry, trying to view on a small tablet.

Chas

tbzep 01-15-2018 05:02 PM

If the Estes logo doesn't touch the gold Patriot decal, it can be separated and moved to match the 1st gen Citation and 2nd gen bagged kits. Only us old guys with tattered catalogs would care. ;)