Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Edsel (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17034)

tbzep 12-21-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
The name of the plastic one--Fin Alignment Guide--if it had been used as an acronym, would have been charmingly un-PC (although British and Australian folks often use that term for kindling sticks and cigarettes, even today). :-) I have an unopened one in a desk drawer next to me; maybe one day it will be collectible, as an "Edsel" product from Estes? :-)

The Edsel was a decently functional car, but overpriced and ugly. The F.A.G. looked decent, but a blindfolded Michael J. Fox could put fins on more accurately than someone using that thing! You're giving the Edsel a bad name! :eek: :D

ghrocketman 12-21-2017 02:02 PM

Edsels were heavy underpowered turds even when equipped with the 365hp Ford 462 MEL engine. The engine alone weighed almost 1100lbs.
Fugly ta boot.
I have a 2nd cousin that actually collects Edsels; I razz him about that at every family reunion.
I will say this, at least any Edsel is better than any Desoto.

tbzep 12-21-2017 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Edsels were heavy underpowered turds even when equipped with the 365hp Ford 462 MEL engine. The engine alone weighed almost 1100lbs.
Fugly ta boot.
I have a 2nd cousin that actually collects Edsels; I razz him about that at every family reunion.
I will say this, at least any Edsel is better than any Desoto.

Yep, but the Edsel is still better than the F.A.G. Heck, even a Corvair or a Pinto is better than the F.A.G. :eek:

ghrocketman 12-21-2017 07:07 PM

Had an uncle that religiously drove Pinto hatchback coupes and wagons.
THAT car was the biggest POS ever produced by Ford.
A US Mail truck or SWAT team step-van has better performance.

tbzep 12-21-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Had an uncle that religiously drove Pinto hatchback coupes and wagons.
THAT car was the biggest POS ever produced by Ford.
A US Mail truck or SWAT team step-van has better performance.

The Pinto had explosive performance! :D

luke strawwalker 12-24-2017 01:27 PM

Pintos make good barbeque pits...

Later! OL J R :)

ghrocketman 12-24-2017 02:21 PM

Yeah, that's about all the Pinto is good for.
Ford actually offered a 302-2bbl V8 in the Pinto for it's last like 3years produced. It was a 150hp turd-motor, but still way better than the 2.0, 2.3, or 2.8. At least you could build that core up to 300 hp with just cam, intake, carb, headers without any head work.
A buddy had a hatchback version that he dropped a 375hp 351W V8 into.
That short wheelbase was good for nothing but a smoke-show....it would not hook up even with street cheater slicks. He had to convert it to a ladder-bar rear suspension to get it to hook.

jeffyjeep 12-24-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Pintos make good barbeque pits...

Later! OL J R :)

Yes! They were the original (non-biblical) "Chariot of Fire"!

BARGeezer 12-24-2017 06:54 PM

Ah, yes. The 1972 Ford Pinto sedan. Brings back memories. That was one smokin' hot car, especially if it got rear ended.

JediBoss 12-24-2017 07:10 PM

There’s actually a Pinto for sale across the street from my job at a used car lot. It’s got the fake spare tire hump on the hatch. Actually looks like it’s in decent shape.