Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Ask the Doctor (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   FSI Delta Dart (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16219)

jeffyjeep 09-11-2016 11:39 AM

I can't find a Delta Dart in any of my sources either. It's a mystery Scooby! All I can do now is wait for the guy that wants me to build it for him to send photos of the kit (if it really exists.)

As for as mounting fins directly to the engine: I would think the heat and possible expansion of the casing would weaken the joints.

jeffyjeep 09-11-2016 11:43 AM

Also, I don't know if I have the skills to build a model that can stay together at a (potential) speed of 1116 ft/sec!

jeffyjeep 09-11-2016 02:43 PM

SIGH! The guy with the Delta Dart kit changed his mind. I'm guessing he realized that he actually didn't have the kit--possibly because it never existed.

People are funny.

Oh well.

GO BEARS!!

ghrocketman 09-11-2016 03:54 PM

The heat on the F100-0 engine does not weaken the casing-direct fin joints as it has a very short 0.5 sec burn time and the cardboard casing is VERY thick. MANY were flown back in the day with just Titebond glue joints/fillets. The combo worked, but you needed a LARGE field and a good pair of tracking eyes for recovery.

The BEARS LOST ! Boo-EFFIN-Hoo !

jeffyjeep 09-11-2016 08:44 PM

I know! The Bears didn't score a single point in the entire second half. Pitiful.

They should have kept Gould and canned Cutler!

Joe Wooten 09-12-2016 06:18 AM

I bought and flew the Dart. twice. I never heard it break Mach 1, though a F100 launch was always exciting.

luke strawwalker 09-12-2016 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I can't find a Delta Dart in any of my sources either. It's a mystery Scooby! All I can do now is wait for the guy that wants me to build it for him to send photos of the kit (if it really exists.)

As for as mounting fins directly to the engine: I would think the heat and possible expansion of the casing would weaken the joints.

Well, it's only got to hold together until motor burnout... a couple seconds or so max...

Don't really think the heat has time to get through the casing and weaken the glue before it's all over. Cardboard tubing is not a real good conductor of thermal energy.

Later! OL J R :)

ghrocketman 09-12-2016 11:00 AM

The Bears definitely should have ditched Cutler. I have ALWAYS called him ROTler because he honestly is ROTTEN. He has always been a whiny little BYTCH.

jeffyjeep 09-12-2016 01:01 PM

The guy that contacted me about the "Delta Dart" changed his mind and wants me to scratch build a Centuri Black Widow (1980 pattern) instead.

Now THAT I can probably do.

jeffyjeep 09-12-2016 01:10 PM

.......that being said, does anyone have a scan of the Black Widow instructions? The instructions for the 1960's version are available he olde rocket plans, but I can't find the instructions for the 1980 version. It looks like Semroc has all of the parts I need--including a fin set and decals.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks! VR, Jeff