Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A question for collectors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10896)

harsas 03-21-2012 10:03 PM

A question for collectors

I sell a few things on ebay as well as on the forums (did I mention I have some tubes?). One thing I try to stay away from is selling junk. You know, those auctions with rockets missing fins and such. However, every once in a while I get something unusual. So, I am looking to find out if you folks would consider something like this worthy of purchasing.

It is an Estes Teros. It is built and in nice condition, except that one fin has torn loose and is hanging by a thread. None of the fins appears to be damaged and neither is the cone. Original chute (needs to be restrung) and rubber shock cord. The balsa is well filled and the finish was good. Of course, it is aged.

The only place I found this was in the 1973 catalog under cold power convertibles but it looks like a standard rocket to me.

I would appreciate any insight you can offer.

tbzep 03-21-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsas
The only place I found this was in the 1973 catalog under cold power convertibles but it looks like a standard rocket to me.

Mine was bought in 78 or 79. A few other cold cold power kits were re-released as regular kits also.

Scott6060842 03-22-2012 05:21 AM

Yes the Teros was available as a coldpower convertable in 72-73 and was rereleased as a regular rocket from 77-82.

It is easily cloned so a built one is not worth much (if anything) to most here....but I do see such things sell on ebay all the time. The coldpower one would be worth more.

harsas 03-22-2012 07:45 AM

You see, this makes sense to me. I was scanning Ninfinger, found it in the 73 catalog, then it seemed to disappear so I stopped looking. Well, then, if no one seems to think there is any real interest, I will either fix it and fly it or wait until I have a shortage of things to sell, which will not be soon.

Thanks for the input.

tbzep 03-22-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsas
You see, this makes sense to me. I was scanning Ninfinger, found it in the 73 catalog, then it seemed to disappear so I stopped looking. Well, then, if no one seems to think there is any real interest, I will either fix it and fly it or wait until I have a shortage of things to sell, which will not be soon.

Thanks for the input.

Bill and several others enjoy finding old built kits and resurrecting them. Maybe someone will want to "adopt" it.

Cohetero-negro 03-22-2012 03:20 PM

Honestly,

And this is JUST me saying this:

If a model is opened and of no major significance or rarity, I consider open and built kits just a collection of parts.

Now where that changes is in respect to parts that are molded, metallic as in Vashon or Estes Cold Power, or parts that are complex.

An open Vashon kit has a metallic tank that would cost more than what the kit is worth to replicate in modern dollars. So I would pay up to 70 - 80% of what a mint/sealed version of the same kit would cost.

On the other hand, if the kit is an opened Big Bertha, Astron Mark, Farside-X, anything that I can buy the parts from Semroc and the decals from Gordy, then I consider it to have the SAME value as the costs for me to clone it.

Now of course, a Citation Bomarc with vacuum formed gold nose cone comes up, and the plastic parts, then that is a different ball game. Same thing with Space Transport America, or a Centuri Apollo LJ II.

So when I hear things about molds being lost, or destroyed, I take more interests in those types of kits :)

Jonathan

harsas 03-22-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Bill and several others enjoy finding old built kits and resurrecting them. Maybe someone will want to "adopt" it.

I might normally consider this, except this is a consignment item, so I will have to pay the owner for it, should I decide to keep it. I do not generally sell my own built rockets, only for other folks. Once I build a rocket it is mine for life.