Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Body Tube Repair (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=115)

six-o-one 04-20-2005 10:15 AM

Body Tube Repair

Well, fixing the Cherokee D following its recovery from the tree and the mind wanders. Wondering if anyone else might share their techniques for repairing zippers. This one lays together nicely, so I am going with some wood glue to secure it back together, some filler to eliminate the groove, sanding, and paint. Probably gonna throw a small strip of aluminum tape along the effected area inside the BT just to make me feel better. Considered simply cutting out the whole area and cutting a strip of BT to fill the missing area, and of course, all of the finishing. Any ideas, tips, to broaden my horizons?

Phred 04-20-2005 10:25 AM

For zipper, tube dents, etc, I use thin CA. that I seep into the 'wound'. I find that this strengthens the tube area around the damage, as well as sealing the cut itself.

Phred

tilbarr 04-21-2005 05:28 AM

I agree with "excelsior_rocketry" but I go one step further and after using the thin Ca I coat the area with thick CA using a piece of paper like a brush. Then when hard give it a light sanding with fine sand paper.

six-o-one 04-21-2005 09:06 AM

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the input.

Maniac BAR 04-23-2005 05:10 PM

Antizipper design

You might want to look at my posting in projects. I included a picture of what I use to cut down on the zippering problem. It is a long bead on the Kevlar line kept in place with a knot below it and another above it to keep it lined up with the top of the body tube. This gives more surface area to the cord at the tip of the tube which may give you a small dent but rarely a full zipper. :D

six-o-one 04-23-2005 09:16 PM

Geoffrey,
Hey, I like that. May have to try it. Of course, nothing would have prevented the zipper I got in the Cherokee D. It occured when I hooked the rocket and was trying to pull it loose from the tree which was holding it captive. Just finished the initial repairs. I say initial because it is fixed and ready to fly, but I just can't deal with the minor scar on the upper tube. Probably gonna cut off the top 2" of the BT, use a coupler to join a new 2" section, paint, and decal. Shouldn't be able to even tell it happened. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

Rob

Maniac BAR 04-24-2005 05:20 PM

Tube fix

Can't you use some filler on the upper body tube to cover the scar? Thin FNF works for this as well as Squadron White Putty which your local hobby store or craft store should have. :p It comes in a small tube. That is the stuff you use on plastic models to fill seams with. It also works just fine on the paper tubes or balsa. :)

six-o-one 04-24-2005 06:19 PM

Yep, used some putty to fill the scar area. Due to the force on it when it zippered, though, it's not quite as neat as if you just laid the edges back together flat. There is a slight bulge to the area that can't be alleviated completely without cutting out the entire area and patching it. I believe it will have negligible effect on flight performance, as it is so slight. So, since I have already ordered my new Cherokee D to build, I am just going to leave it and see how it does. I will have one to fly and one to look pretty. Will eventually do the coupler deal I mentioned so even this one looks nicer.