Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Tubing (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9552)

Maniac BAR 07-04-2011 01:44 AM

Tubing

I have checked some of the online venders but have had no luck finding BT-100 tubing at all. Isn't it still available? I need a 34" piece if I can get it. Anyone have any sources?

tbzep 07-04-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac BAR
I have checked some of the online venders but have had no luck finding BT-100 tubing at all. Isn't it still available? I need a 34" piece if I can get it. Anyone have any sources?

Semroc has it, but the longest is 10.9".

qquake 07-04-2011 06:08 AM

I'm not familiar with BT-100. What diameter is it? I've heard of Estes BT-101, but not BT-100. Have you tried Semroc or Balsa Machining ?

John Brohm 07-04-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qquake
I'm not familiar with BT-100. What diameter is it? I've heard of Estes BT-101, but not BT-100. Have you tried Semroc or Balsa Machining ?

BT-100 had/has an OD of 3.744", with a wall thickness of 0.021". It was first used in the K-43 Mars Lander, and later appeared in the #1301 R2-D2.

tbzep 07-04-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
BT-100 had/has an OD of 3.744", with a wall thickness of 0.021". It was first used in the K-43 Mars Lander, and later appeared in the #1301 R2-D2.

It is also the main body tube (second stage) on the 1/70 Saturn 1B. The lower skirt is BT-101. As far as I know, the Saturn was the first appearance of both BT sizes. :cool:

John Brohm 07-04-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It is also the main body tube (second stage) on the 1/70 Saturn 1B. The lower skirt is BT-101. As far as I know, the Saturn was the first appearance of both BT sizes. :cool:

Oops! You're right! Skipped that one. Nice catch.

Maniac BAR 07-04-2011 02:45 PM

Tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by qquake

Yes, I did check out both. I may have to get the shorter tubes from Semroc and some couplers from BMS to get the length I need. I was just hoping to do the main body in one piece. I would like to build an Atlas/Centaur based off of the Estes MA kit pieces. :)

tbzep 07-04-2011 03:21 PM

If you want a single tube, get 34" long BT-101 from Totally Tubular (or eRockets.com) and cut it down to BT-100 size. It's a simple process and not hard to do on large diameters. Scale competitors do it all the time. The advantages would be less weight and less $$$ for tubes and couplers. Filling seams would be a wash....either fill one long longitudinal one, or fill several circumference seams. The only disadvantage would be taking a little time to do the project.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, take a look at the how-to article I did for making couplers. It's wordy to read, but the actual process is simple. Click here to make your own couplers (and custom body tubes)

Bill 07-04-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac BAR
Yes, I did check out both. I may have to get the shorter tubes from Semroc and some couplers from BMS to get the length I need. I was just hoping to do the main body in one piece. I would like to build an Atlas/Centaur based off of the Estes MA kit pieces. :)

At 1/35th scale, the Estes kit is based on a 3.4" main tube. I have not found an identical replacement yet. That may be close enough for your purpose, but I thought you should know.

Bill

Maniac BAR 07-04-2011 06:41 PM

Tubing

Actually, tbzep's idea is a good one which I was considering. I have done that a few times so can do it well and he is right about less work with filling and sanding. I love that too!! :eek:
It will also allow me to get the body diameter just right with the scale needed.
I was hoping to do this the easy way since I have WAY too many projects already in the Q but I just finished the Mercury Atlas and have some parts left over to get at least 3/4th's of the A C done. (I had one good kit and one that I got that someone had mostly butchered up to make some mistakes on and still come out with a nice finished model.
Thanks for the help, all, much appreciated :) .