Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Gyroc Hinges? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=88)

ShieldWolf 04-03-2005 09:40 PM

Gyroc Hinges?

I cloned a Gyroc several years ago, and the masking tape that I used for the hinges has lost it's stickyness, and it's flexability. What would you suggest as a replacement?

Thanks,
Randal

Bob H 04-03-2005 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShieldWolf
I cloned a Gyroc several years ago, and the masking tape that I used for the hinges has lost it's stickyness, and it's flexability. What would you suggest as a replacement?

Thanks,
Randal

Mailing labels

ShieldWolf 04-04-2005 08:49 AM

Any brand or type in particular?

Any idea how long the mailing labels will last?

How well do they take paint?

I suppose I could run them through the printer first and make them serve double duty as hinges and decals. :)

Thanks,
Randal

Bob H 04-04-2005 05:23 PM

Quote:
Any brand or type in particular?

Any idea how long the mailing labels will last?

How well do they take paint?

I suppose I could run them through the printer first and make them serve double duty as hinges and decals. :)

Thanks,
Randal

The mailing labels that I have were given to me so I don't know what brand they are. They seem to be about the same as the hinge material that came with the kits.

I have been told that Avery makes good labels.

Bob

Centurion-4 04-04-2005 07:27 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
Randal

Randall,

I used 3M Clear Plastic Tape on my Gyroc-D ( as featured in NARTS MIVARS reprint #3).
It will last a long time. I built it in 1989. And it is still working.

Skyward,
Larry Rice / CSAR

CPMcGraw 04-05-2005 12:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Randal

You might try a relatively new product from DuBro, #915 Park Flyer Hinge Tape. :rolleyes:

No experience with it, but DuBro puts out some very good RC products... ;)

Craig McGraw :cool:

Bob H 04-06-2005 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
You might try a relatively new product from DuBro, #915 Park Flyer Hinge Tape. :rolleyes:

Of course, what a concept! ;)

Using products made for something else on our rockets.

I should have known about the park flyer hinge tape because I fly R/C too. Doh!

Bob

ShieldWolf 04-08-2005 07:38 AM

My local hobby shop doesn't have the hinge tape in stock, so I'm going to give the mailing labels A try.

Now I'm looking for a bit of artwork to dress up the labels before I apply them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Randal

surdumil 04-11-2005 09:57 PM

I suggest cutting the hinge material from a Tyvek envelope. I've used Tyvek hinges on a Estes Sky Dart clone and on a Kopter Pterasaur clone.

The Pterasaur is an excellent test of the hinge's durability as its strong elastic, fast flight speed, and D-powered boost put a lot of stress and strain on the elevon hinges.

Tyvek appears to glue down very well with plain old yellow glue, too. I love the stuff!

Dwayne Surdu-Miller
SAROS #001

A Fish Named Wallyum 04-11-2005 10:35 PM

Quote:
My local hobby shop doesn't have the hinge tape in stock, so I'm going to give the mailing labels A try.

Now I'm looking for a bit of artwork to dress up the labels before I apply them. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Randal

Get yourself some Sharpie pens and write "DEPLOY OR DIE" on the hinges. No, on second thought, I think that's what I might do. :D