Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Software (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   BRL-CAD, Anyone? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9716)

CPMcGraw 08-07-2011 10:11 AM

BRL-CAD, Anyone?

So far, I've seen at least three design packages used to generate models on these threads:
  • RockSim
  • OpenRocket
  • Wings3D

Other software used for artwork and rendering include:
  • The GIMP
  • Photoshop/Photoshop Elements
  • Draw

Recently I started trying out another package called BRL-CAD, which uses 3D Solids (primatives) to create compound shapes from basic shapes. Has anyone else tried this program out yet? According to their website, they have been accepted as a mentoring organization in the "European Space Agency's Summer Of Code In Space" project. For students throughout Europe, a prize of 4000 Euros is available for the development of space-related Open-Source software.

WEBSITE LINK

It looks interesting as a way to create some new designs here.

mycrofte 08-07-2011 12:21 PM

I use Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Illustrator myself.

I have Auto CAD and Autodesk 3DS but hardly use them. There are at least a dozen different cad programs (for some unknown reason).

Kinda like all these computer video formats they keep coming out with for no reason. Each one claims to be better than the others, but my eyes can't see any difference. I think it is a waste of time looking for different drivers and codex all the time...
_______

GregGleason 08-08-2011 11:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I started using AutoCAD for design (2D), but in the last year I have been learning Rhino for both 2D and 3D.

Greg

bernomatic 09-04-2011 01:17 AM

I started using Autodesk's autocad 2002 in 3d in addition to Rocksim. It was better for my non-standard designs. On top of that, it would also give CG and CP positions for individual pieces which I could then calculate to get an overall CG and CP for the rocket. If I was making none traditional fins, I could input them by angle and length and didn't have to compute the co-ordinates. There were a lot more options for rendering. Only thing I couldn't do is predict altitudes. Of course then the computer I had it on bit the bullet :( .

bernomatic 09-04-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
So far, I've seen at least three design packages used to generate models on these threads:
  • RockSim
  • OpenRocket
  • Wings3D

Other software used for artwork and rendering include:
  • The GIMP
  • Photoshop/Photoshop Elements
  • Draw

Recently I started trying out another package called BRL-CAD, which uses 3D Solids (primatives) to create compound shapes from basic shapes. Has anyone else tried this program out yet? According to their website, they have been accepted as a mentoring organization in the "European Space Agency's Summer Of Code In Space" project. For students throughout Europe, a prize of 4000 Euros is available for the development of space-related Open-Source software.

WEBSITE LINK

It looks interesting as a way to create some new designs here.

I've been looking at the website and it does sound interesting, but it may take a few days to get past the hype and down to the nuts and bolts.

Doug Sams 09-04-2011 08:02 PM

Brl-cad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
BRL-CAD, Anyone?
Every time I look at the thread title, I think, "A little dab'll do ya." :D:D:D

Doug

GregGleason 09-04-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

Doug

That's funny Doug!

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-04-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

Doug

I think, "For men who use their head about their hair." Then I cry softly for a few minutes. :( :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw 09-04-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I think, "For men who use their head about their hair." Then I cry softly for a few minutes. :( :rolleyes:

My barber is "follically challenged", and once had a sign at his workplace:

"God only made a few perfect heads. The rest he gave hair."

JRThro 09-05-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum

You poor thing.

(not that I have any room to talk...)