Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Current Kit Talk (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New Estes Kit - Red Nova? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16766)

Eagle3 08-07-2017 12:55 PM

New Estes Kit - Red Nova?

1 Attachment(s)
I won an Estes "Mystery Box" at the NARAM 59 Auction. These are pretty large, sealed boxes with a bunch of stuff thrown in. Kits, parts, etc.... When I opened mine I found a kit with a note taped to it explaining it was a brand new kit that wasn't available yet. Sure enough, I can't find a mention of it anywhere after a short google search, so here is a photo of it, plus a Flip Flyer in red white and blue colors. The Red Nova has a "Talos" look to it. It's single stage, but could easily be converted to two.

kevinj 08-07-2017 01:41 PM

BT-60 ramjet cone? Nice!

kj

Newbomb Turk 08-07-2017 02:15 PM

Cool! Love scale and scale-like projects. On my to buy list.

chrism 08-07-2017 04:05 PM

That is a sharp looking rocket. I did notice that the face card is not in the latest purple trim and graphics.

LeeR 08-07-2017 08:36 PM

Congrats on being the first kid on the block to get the new Estes kit! What's interesting is that it is already packaged and in your hands, and John Boren has not mentioned here that it's "Coming Soon".

I checked and it's still not shown on their website under either "Coming Soon" or "What's New".

Jerry Irvine 08-07-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I won an Estes "Mystery Box" at the NARAM 59 Auction. These are pretty large, sealed boxes with a bunch of stuff thrown in. Kits, parts, etc.... When I opened mine I found a kit with a note taped to it explaining it was a brand new kit that wasn't available yet. Sure enough, I can't find a mention of it anywhere after a short google search, so here is a photo of it, plus a Flip Flyer in red white and blue colors. The Red Nova has a "Talos" look to it. It's single stage, but could easily be converted to two.
I blame John.

Post the note!

Christine is innocent!

JumpJet 08-08-2017 09:20 AM

All six boxes donated to the Canon Auction should have had one of those kits in it.

I'm not allowed to officially say anything about a new kit coming out until it is announced. I still haven't said anything about this kit to date.

I would LOVE to know where this BT-60 Ram Jet nose cone was used in the past since it's one of the old tools I found. I know of several kits that used the BT-55 Ram Jet style cone but I can't find anything on the BT-60 style cone.

This kit started life with three sets of fins that all looked different but it didn't fly very well so I switch it to two sets of fins. with similar outlines.

John Boren

Eagle3 08-08-2017 02:39 PM

I didn't recognize the cone as ever being used before. I had guessed it was new.

LeeR 08-08-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I didn't recognize the cone as ever being used before. I had guessed it was new.

Me too. I am no expert on Estes kit history, and on occasion I see an old kit and am surprised I don't recall having ever seen it before. The nose cone on this one I assumed to be a brand new part.

John Boren: is it possible this nose cone was tooled for a new kit, and then that kit was cancelled and never offered for sale?

Gus 08-08-2017 06:52 PM

I just want to publicly thank John and Estes for donating these "Mystery Boxes" to the NARAM Canon auction. The proceeds go to provide scholarships to schoolteachers to use model rocketry in their teaching. Really a great cause and Estes definitely deserves lots of kudos for their wonderful support.

And that Boren guy, holy cow! Only a rocket nut could pack these big boxes with so much unexpected fun. There are kits, tools, parachutes, parts, parts, and more parts. Lots of laser cut fin sets, nose cones, etc. Really a hoot.

I was absolutely thrilled to get the Red Nova but the kit that tickled me the most (I built it the night I got home, LOL) was an Estes Zombie. I wouldn't have ever bought that kit because it normally comes in a launch set I don't need, but for whatever reason that kit just really made me laugh. Thrilled to have it.

As for the Red Nova, Buzz and I are in the same club so it will be a race to see who gets theirs off the pad first, LOL.

Anyway, my thanks again to Estes and to John for all the thought and kindness that goes into these boxes.

Steve