Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Look here, brother..... (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=1459)

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-08-2007 05:27 AM

Look here, brother.....

1 Attachment(s)
....Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?
Attached the wingtip pods last night, so with a little weather luck, this thing flies this weekend. (Or at least tries to. ;) ) I'm going to try sanding the fins tonight to get rid of the excess glue, and then I've got something of a surprise in mind for the final finish. Should be far out. :rolleyes:

Daniel Runyon 02-08-2007 09:11 AM

That's pretty dang cool... is that a Wallyum original design? I like that dual transition setup, the wings and the tips a lot. Nice vision so far and I'm bettin that PJ is gonna trip the light fantastic!

CPMcGraw 02-08-2007 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Attached the wingtip pods last night, so with a little weather luck, this thing flies this weekend. (Or at least tries to. ;) ) I'm going to try sanding the fins tonight to get rid of the excess glue, and then I've got something of a surprise in mind for the final finish. Should be far out. :rolleyes:

Have you had a chance to weigh that beast yet? Those fins are massive, and probably account for half or more of the total...

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-08-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrunyon
That's pretty dang cool... is that a Wallyum original design? I like that dual transition setup, the wings and the tips a lot. Nice vision so far and I'm bettin that PJ is gonna trip the light fantastic!

No, this isn't a original. It's from page 2 of the Estes Custom Parts Catalog. It was meant to show how you could mix and match parts and come up with an original design. I started the project back in 2004 while I was on vacation. I'm just now getting around to actually having it flightworthy. :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-08-2007 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Have you had a chance to weigh that beast yet? Those fins are massive, and probably account for half or more of the total...

Are you saying that I might need noseweight? :confused: :eek:
;) :rolleyes: :D

CPMcGraw 02-08-2007 06:23 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that I might need noseweight? :confused: :eek:
;) :rolleyes: :D

I'm saying the model might need some re-balancing... :rolleyes: :D

You and I are a lost cause...:p

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-08-2007 06:31 PM

I don't have a scale to weigh it, but before I added noseweight to it today, it balanced in front of the fins at the transition. I don't think it's going to go very high, but I think it will be stable. I've got some C5-3's that I plan to possibly try this weekend. The Quark launch isn't looking like a possibility, but I might just take it up and give it a go at B6-4 Field.
Anyone ever RocSim this thing? Seems like there was one done at some point in the past 2.5 years. :confused:

CPMcGraw 02-08-2007 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
I don't have a scale to weigh it, but before I added noseweight to it today, it balanced in front of the fins at the transition. I don't think it's going to go very high, but I think it will be stable. I've got some C5-3's that I plan to possibly try this weekend. The Quark launch isn't looking like a possibility, but I might just take it up and give it a go at B6-4 Field.
Anyone ever RocSim this thing? Seems like there was one done at some point in the past 2.5 years. :confused:

Yea, Bill. I have it done. The C5-3 is an ideal motor for this one, if the simulation is even close to being right. I had to go take a look myself at the margin, and you're good-to-go as it is. RockSim says the weight should be about 4.6 to 4.75 oz with the motor installed, and the margin will be about 8.5. The balance point in RS looks to be about 1" ahead of the rear transition, in the wide-body area. Altitude prediction is 437', with a deployment velocity of 28 FPS. Reef the chute...

Success, Bill!

tbzep 02-08-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Ah, the Cosmik Debris, a Frank Zappa class frigate. ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-08-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Ah, the Cosmik Debris, a Frank Zappa class frigate. ;)

:D ;)
Wait'll you see what I've got planned for the Dinah Moe Hum. :eek: :cool: