Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vintage Estes Poster Popularity Contest (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16653)

pterodactyl 05-22-2017 02:00 PM

Vintage Estes Poster Popularity Contest

Which of these vintage Estes posters do you prefer, the Saturn 1B on the Tiltapad, or the Saturn V image? If you have another nominee please post an image.

BEC 05-22-2017 02:34 PM

I have a version of the Saturn 1B/Tilt-a-Pad poster hanging in the living room right now....and at some point I'm going to hang up a Trident nearby.

tbzep 05-22-2017 03:40 PM

I like the Starlab poster that I first saw on Eagle3's wall. I liked it so much that I eventually printed my own. It's an Estes poster based on the 1977 catalog cover art.

Starlab on Eagle3's wall.

stefanj 05-22-2017 05:00 PM

I remember this page from my first Estes catalog. 1970.

I lean toward the Trident / Saturn Ib poster.

I was fascinated by the wide open spaces shown in some of the photographs in Estes lit back then. Open spaces suitable for rocket launches were hard to find even back when I was a kid.

LeeR 05-22-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I remember this page from my first Estes catalog. 1970.

I lean toward the Trident / Saturn Ib poster.

I was fascinated by the wide open spaces shown in some of the photographs in Estes lit back then. Open spaces suitable for rocket launches were hard to find even back when I was a kid.

I too like the Trident / Saturn 1B poster. The Trident has always been special. I have an old one that somehow has never flown. I'll fly it this summer. I'm taking a bunch of rockets to NSL that will make maiden flights.

I have most of the parts for an upscale Trident (2.25x) that will be over 6 feet tall. I still need to turn 3 more nose cones.

Regarding open spaces, as a kid I went to the vacant lot at the end of our block (Denver area). Those don't exist anymore! Even in Northern Colorado there are no open spaces to fly. All fenced or covered with Keep Out signs. Our town's park rules specifically prohibit flying rockets in parks, school yards -- every imaginable open space. Sad!

Dewalt 05-22-2017 05:54 PM

One more for the Trident / Saturn 1B poster.

I grew up 40 minutes from Estes as a kid - nothing but wide open spaces outside of town limits. Now it seems Colorado is one continuous city from Ft. Collins to Pueblo.

BEC 05-22-2017 06:45 PM

Hmmmmm....maybe I should bring a Trident to NSL, Lee? I have one of the Semroc repros that flies very nicely. It will fit better in the rocket box than the Starship Excalibur I was planning to bring, anyway....

pterodactyl 05-22-2017 09:06 PM

I believe the Saturn 1B/Trident and the Saturn V poster are the only two produced by Estes pre-Damon. There were quite a number produced for hobby shop display that have made it into the collector market since the Damon merger. The Starlab edition, a mini-Brute poster, and many others.

LeeR 05-22-2017 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewalt
One more for the Trident / Saturn 1B poster.

I grew up 40 minutes from Estes as a kid - nothing but wide open spaces outside of town limits. Now it seems Colorado is one continuous city from Ft. Collins to Pueblo.

Sadly, you are aren't far off from reality.

I grew up in Aurora. LOTS of huge, open spaces to fly rockets on back then.

Eagle3 05-23-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I like the Starlab poster that I first saw on Eagle3's wall. I liked it so much that I eventually printed my own. It's an Estes poster based on the 1977 catalog cover art.

Starlab on Eagle3's wall.

I think I have a good scan of that somewhere..... let me look.