Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Narcon 2018 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17003)

rocket.aero 12-06-2017 10:43 AM

Narcon 2018

Registration for NARCON 2018 is now open! Come to Houston February 23-25 for the National Association of Rocketry's three-day technical conference, to be held at the Hilton Houston NASA Clear Lake hotel, right next to the Johnson Space Center and Space Center Houston.

www.narcon2018.org

See you there,
James

rocketguy101 12-06-2017 03:00 PM

Nice!!! BTW that webpage appears blank below the photo and above the NAR logo when I view it until I move my mouse around in the white area, then "About NARCON" appears if the mouse is on the left side of the page...is that intentional?

rocket.aero 12-06-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
Nice!!! BTW that webpage appears blank below the photo and above the NAR logo when I view it until I move my mouse around in the white area, then "About NARCON" appears if the mouse is on the left side of the page...is that intentional?

Nope, not intentional, just a limitation of the web platform that I haven't quite figured out. When I get a break from responding to emails I'll take another hack at it.

Are you coming to NARCON?

James

rocketguy101 12-06-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
Nope, not intentional, just a limitation of the web platform that I haven't quite figured out. When I get a break from responding to emails I'll take another hack at it.

Are you coming to NARCON?

James

Man I am really considering it! It's a 6 hr drive and I am going to see if I can talk a buddy into coming too. We both went to NARCON 2012 in Hutchinson KS and had a blast. Since that time he has gotten out of the NAR, so I am wondering do you have to be an NAR member to attend?

Also what time do things start on Friday? That would help me decide whether we need to come down Thursday night, or if we can leave a decent hour on Friday morning.

rocket.aero 12-06-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
Man I am really considering it! It's a 6 hr drive and I am going to see if I can talk a buddy into coming too. We both went to NARCON 2012 in Hutchinson KS and had a blast. Since that time he has gotten out of the NAR, so I am wondering do you have to be an NAR member to attend?

Also what time do things start on Friday? That would help me decide whether we need to come down Thursday night, or if we can leave a decent hour on Friday morning.

One does not need to be a NAR member to attend, although your friend will probably want to sign up before the weekend is over.

Things will get underway at 7 PM of Friday.

See you there,
James

Gus 12-06-2017 11:44 PM

In addition to all the great talks, the one thing absolutely not to be missed will be John Pursley's walkaround tours of the Saturn V on Sunday!

Many of us know John from the numerous NAR scale rocketry championships he's won or from the incredible scale wraps he sells on eBay. But all that rocket knowledge long ago led John into an additional "career" of consulting on real space vehicle preservation/restoration. Pursley has been a consultant on all of NASA's Saturn V restoration projects including the one at JSC. He's also been a restoration/preservation consultant on some of the shuttles and recently helped with the restoration of command module Columbia's cockpit windows and the Apollo 1 hatch display. In fact, I hear John's on his way to Kennedy this week to help do a deterioration assessment of the Saturn V in the visitor center.

To put it bluntly, NOBODY knows more about those display Saturns than John. Getting to have him lead a guided tour of one is just a fantastic opportunity.

Not to discount the rest of NARCON which I'm sure will be great, but getting to tour the Saturn V with John Pursley is worth the trip to Houston all by itself.

jadebox 12-08-2017 09:35 AM

We just registered and will be there as attendees and as a vendor.

I've never been to Space Center Houston or the Johnson Space Center. So, that'll be icing on the cake. It'll be fun seeing Space Shuttle Explorer again.

-- Roger

dwmzmm 12-09-2017 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
We just registered and will be there as attendees and as a vendor.

I've never been to Space Center Houston or the Johnson Space Center. So, that'll be icing on the cake. It'll be fun seeing Space Shuttle Explorer again.

-- Roger

It's now Shuttle Independence.

jadebox 12-09-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
It's now Shuttle Independence.

Makes you wonder why KSC didn't have a contest to rename Atlantis before it was put on display. They missed a big opportunity for publicity. :-)

PaulK 12-10-2017 11:56 AM

This is *mighty* tempting, 3-for-1, a NARCON, the only remaining Saturn V I haven't seen up close, and JSC.