View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
As a 44 yr. collector, theres no way to put a price on most vintage kits. Generally they go for between 40-150.oo, its up to whos lookin and the economy, etc. More specific kits top 300.oo . This is something you just have to have a "feel" for. The same kit can vary in price by 50.oo or more depending on what Ive said. Believe me, Ive had em all. I sold a K Scrambler for 850.00 back in late 90s-doubt it'd bring that now. Last week a Centuri 1/100 L joe II went for 315. So if you made a pricelist, it would be obsolete by the time it went to print. Hope this helps. dannymrmissile.

Gerry tracks the high, low, and mean prices the items fetch on eBay. It may not be perfect, but it's helpful. In a way, too, it helps set the prices. For example, there's a hobby shop on eBay selling a large collection of vintage kits at set prices ("Buy It Now"). It's obvious that they are using Gerry's list to set the prices.

I've used the price list for things like deciding whether or not to sell a kit, and, less often, to help me decide how much I might bid on a kit. So, I've found it useful and appreciate the effort that goes into maintaining it.

-- Roger