View Single Post
Old 02-04-2017, 04:14 PM
BP Mafia

I got a Deluxe Starter Outfit for my birthday in 1977. It had the Alpha and all of the tools necessary to build it, paint included. I think we celebrated my birthday on Friday that year, and I spent Friday night and all of Saturday building the Alpha and attempting to build the Solar Launch Controller. The rocket turned out okay as I had the necessary skills by that point, but hand painting was obviously not a talent of mine. On Sunday my Mom took Dave, Jen and I to NKU where I had done most of my flying earlier that summer. It was calm on the ground, so I took for granted it would be calm up high and loaded the Alph with a C6-5. (At the time, C6-5 meant high power in my mind.) It flew like the BOOH I expected, arcing to the north a bit, but that was acceptable until the chute popped. It floated away in a hurry, landing deep into the tangle of brush that would later become one of the Scooby Do parking lots when I was in school there. I thought of the Alph every time I parked there. Didn't have another one for almost thirty years.
(BTW, I still have the Solar Launch Controller, the field box, hobby knife, Alpha Book of Model Rocketry and recovery wadding from that set. Never did get the launcher working.)
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

I was SAM 0058
2018 motor usage: 1/2A - 2, A - 1, C - 1, D - 1, F - 1 = Total Impulse: 108.24 Ns

On the build floor: Estes Rigel 3, Estes R2D2, MRI Theta 37, Centuri Stellar Starlifter, Centuri Sky Devil, Centuri Stellar Hercules

Ready to fly: FRW Rat Bite, Estes D.O.M. Long John Silver, SAI Mini Bat, Estes Screaming Mimi