View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
I find it fascinating that none of Estes's literature ever hinted what that cone was for, let alone gave plans for the model that the part so obviously implied. You can find the profile of this cone in the pdf versions of the Estes catalogs from the late 60's. After about 1971, the graphic becomes microscopic and unreadable.
Peter Alway

I agree that a short historical paragraph in the catalog would have been handy, and a more detailed historical paper sent with the nose cone would have been dandy! I saw the cone in the catalog but never bought one. I just saved up for the MR kit.

When I got into rocketry as a kid, I had no knowledge of the Little Joe I or II. The Estes Little Joe II was already long gone by the mid 70's. I didn't get a Centuri catalog until #781, which didn't have the LJ II in it. Their LJ II was OOP, but Centuri eventually mailed me a yellow tabloid sale paper that was raising money for the internats and it had some leftover LJ II's for sale. I remember being intrigued by the kit and wondering what it was all about. My library had no information on them and it wasn't until I learned about periodicals loaned out from larger libraries that I finally got some information on it.