View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 04:00 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I agree that a short historical paragraph in the catalog would have been handy, and a more detailed historical paper sent with the nose cone would have been dandy! I saw the cone in the catalog but never bought one. I just saved up for the MR kit.

When I got into rocketry as a kid, I had no knowledge of the Little Joe I or II. The Estes Little Joe II was already long gone by the mid 70's. I didn't get a Centuri catalog until #781, which didn't have the LJ II in it. Their LJ II was OOP, but Centuri eventually mailed me a yellow tabloid sale paper that was raising money for the internats and it had some leftover LJ II's for sale. I remember being intrigued by the kit and wondering what it was all about. My library had no information on them and it wasn't until I learned about periodicals loaned out from larger libraries that I finally got some information on it.

Our library had an early copy of The Handbook of Model Rocketry, and there was a home made Little Joe pictured, so it was always one that I wanted to try to build. When I bought an updated copy I was bummed to find that picture not included, so I went and found an older issue on Amazon or Ebay so I could have it. When Estes brought back the Mercury Redstone in the early 2000's, I tried my hand at my own Little Joe, but I got the fins all wrong and got discouraged. I never did fly that one, but now I'm thinking that I should finish the shroud and give it at least one flight.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark