View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

We were pretty impressed with the RMS-18 case and D13 reload combination.

It was decided to make a press release about the reloadedable motor and feature the picture of Gary holding the Dark Star model and RMS-18 casing. I sent off copies to both Hobby Merchandiser and Model Retailer magazine and both ran the press release but only Hobby Merchandiser included the picture.

Months later, at NARAM-33, the Dark Star and RMS-18/D13 combination had their first public showing to a large audience. We flew the rocket/motor combination so many times the RSO acted bored when announcing the model being launched. I think we flew it 6-10 times during NARAM.

After NARAM the Dark Star flew several more times but it was getting worn out. At some point, there was a shock cord separation and the model core sampled. I cut off the damaged body tube and spliced on a new piece but I never got around to painting the new body tube section.

It was now September and AeroTech was getting ready to attend the big Chicago RCHTA Show (Now known as the iHobby Show). We wanted to display the model rocket RMS motors/casings (Which now included 24mm and 29mm cases). Since the 18mm size motor was the most familiar to hobby distributors and the general public, we needed a new 'model' rocket to display along with the RMS-18 motor case.

The answer was obvious to me. We needed a new Dark Star model.

I purchased and built a new Dark Star kit. I gave it a catalog model finish as we wanted a good looking model to display with the RMS-18 casing.

At the Show, Estes had a large display of many new concepts/products. The AeroTech booth was located on the same aisle about twenty feet away. The Dark Star was placed where it could be seen with the RMS-18 casing. Several Estes staff stopped by the AeroTech booth and saw the Dark Star model. I mentioned how much I liked the Dark Star kit.

When the 1992 Estes catalog was released, the Dark Star kit was not shown. According to Mike Hellmund who worked for Estes at the time, the kit was discontinued after Tunick had learned that 'I' liked the kit (I suspect that the AeroTech press release showing the Dark Star model along with public displays at NARAM-33 and the Chicago RCHTA Show may have also played a hand in the kits demise). Regardless of whether the story is true or not, the Dark Star kit was no more.

Today, that Dark Star model used in the PR photo and NARAM-33 demos resides in my collection along with the catalog model Dark Star I built for the Chicago RCHTA Show. I, also, have an unbuilt Dark Star model still in a sealed package.

So, I guess the moral of this story is never say you like a competitor's product because he might discontinue it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Dark Star.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  23.3 KB