View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECayemberg
Wow, never knew the round tip, hollow cone would've/could've come with a 1225 Alpha! Huh....

Bernard, I think what you're doing is awesome; can't wait to see the results! I did a similar project a few years back. Though I don't have a Alpha III coned Alpha I....doh! Alpha Collection Link

I have since added a 1" longer tubed, PNC-60K coned Super Alpha...properly scaled up version of the 1225 Alpha.

-Eric-

Neither did I - until SEL posted his example in this thread - and that after I saw that reference to red, blue or white nose cones in the 1989-1992 Estes catalogs as posted on the Estes site.

I remember seeing seeing your project - in fact I kind of wondered if I was duplicating some of what you've already done.

Right now I'm focusing only on the original Alpha ("Alpha I") and my intent is to lay out the evolution of its configuration from Bill Simon's original, which first appeared in the 1967 catalog, up through the currently-sold configuration.

I was reading old MRNs on YORS earlier today and saw a mention of the Alpha as part of a "more complete" beginner's outfit in the December 1965 MRN....so it appears to have been available for a good year before it popped up in the catalog. I'm hoping that the oldest instruction sheet I have (which was from my first Alpha, circa 1968 or so) represents the initial version.

The last configuration change I'm trying to nail down the timing for is the installation of the motor mount with the motor tube sticking out 3/8 of an inch as current versions show. It appears to have happened somewhere around 2011 but I don't have an example of where that change actually occurred.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE