View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 06:41 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Eric,

In your Alpha family build, do you recall if your red/black livery model has a plastic or balsa nose cone? Based on the stuff I've been running down, the red/black markings span the transition from the BNC-50K to the PNC-50KA (the "fatter" of the blow-molded nose cones which is very close to the original balsa one).

It's less clear from what I know now whether there was ever a black/red version with the current shape of the blow-molded nose cone. It kind of depends on what the white nose cone was in the kits during that 1989-1992 period when the catalog said you could have red, white or blue (and the instruction sheet was 82925G).

Hi Bernard,

Both! My notes indicate that the BNC-50K's were supplied until 1982. 1983 was the first year for the PNC-50KA (fatter ogive) cone. The Red/Black with Decals livery ran from 1982-1990 in catalog years.

The Blue/Red scheme with decals ran from 1991-1997; I believe it was only supplied with the PNC-50KA (same p/n, slimmer ogive) version as you suggest. The same scheme continued in 1998, with a switch from waterslides to stickers.

I definitely have to go back and check out the instructions from the time...until this thread I had never seen or heard of any other cone in the kits. Mind blown!