View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 11:51 AM
BAR

Default New Dupli-Color Filler/Primer

I've been using both Dupli-Color Filler/Primer and 3M Bondo Filler/Primer for a number of years, both are fast drying, very sandable primers, that can take just about any paint, especially the lacquers I like to use when possible. The 3M Bondo dried a little faster, the Dupli-Color filled a little better, so I'd use them based on how much fill I needed.

Well, the last can of Dupli-Color I bought had a different label, but is still called "Filler & Sandable Primer". I used it on a large plastic nose cone, and immediately noticed it was a bit darker gray. No big deal, I thought, so put on a few light coats like I usually do. When I went to sand it with 320, it clogged up the sandpaper very fast, more like some enamel primers I've used. The stuff is awful! I switched back to my Bondo, and while it's a bit thinner, it's much, *much* more sandable. The primer dust flies off easily, instead of getting stuck in the sand paper.

Has anyone else used this new stuff? Is the old stuff still available under a different name? I get it at Advance Auto, and this new stuff was in place of the old stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  470.2 KB  
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org