View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
KB, Walmart and all the rest of the larger retailers no longer have rockets. I wish the Micheal's stores here in South Florida carried a full line of rockets.
Well, Michael's and Walmart both appear to suffer from a bad case of wedon'tknowwhathefwe'redoing as regards rockets. In Walmart's case, they couldn't keep the shelves stocked, and they wouldn't carry complementary motors and kits. It doesn't do any good to stock B6-4's when the kits call for A10-3T's.

As for Michael's they tended to mark up from the already kinda unrealistically high MSRP. Apparently, their internal pricing guides had errors in them confusing cost and retail with the result that 10 dollar kits were routinely listed at 13 bucks. That is, they often had stuff that wasn't a bargain even with a 40% off coupon. I seem to recall Fred Shecter calling them about it once and reporting back that they were correcting the problems. But I don't think they fixed it in time - by then, too many potential rocket kit customers had written them off as a viable retailer.

Similarly, if Walmart could have actually managed to install and keep stocked a coherent mix of kits and motors, maybe they wouldn't have dropped their offering.

In short, both these retailers seem to have been rather incompetent with these products.

Doug

YORF member #11