Old 07-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Forest Sprite

Nike-Tomahawk
Sandia Sandhawk

Coming up:
Black Brant II
WASP
Nike Smoke

All are scratch and I'm trying to do a credible (or at least not laughable) scale build of each one. The one that is closest to completion is the N-T, but I'm shy about posting any pics of my rockets until I've simulated every last screw.

I'm torn over how to proceed with the WASP. My original intent was to build a clone of the FSI kit. That version seems like a pretty nice rocket, but as a scale kit, or even a sport-scale kit, it has some glaring omissions and some not-even-close-to-scale elements, and the claimed scale factor is off by a factor of two. So, do I build it as a clone of the kit, or do I "fix it" and correct all of the scale issues? From what I have been able to tell, FSI actually did a decent job of making their scale kits pretty close to scale, but they really missed the mark in a few places on the WASP. (I haven't really looked at the FSI Javelin in detail yet, but nothing really jumps out as being totally off in it.) The only other issue that has come up with an FSI scale kit was correcting the Nike-Tomahawk's fins and making the fin brackets 3D in the Sandhawk. As a few people may know, I've been working on cloning every one of FSI's kits. (Why? Because I can, and I like them.) The minor details that I have added and corrections that I have made (and all of those that I plan on making) to their other scale kits won't alter the fact that they are clones (and won't need to), but I fear that making the corrections in the WASP will make it into something that FSI never kitted, and hence no longer a clone. Build it clone or build it scale? That's my dilemma.

Also very high up in the queue: Semroc Iris. I am head over heels in love with that kit. The Iris is quite possibly the most beautiful sounding rocket that has ever been built. I may even add the booster! In fact it'll probably be built right after, or more likely concurrent with, the BB II.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011