View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrobel
OK, by mentioning Barbarian, you make me have to show my Titan IVL4, topped by an Apollo CSM. The core is a 1in pipe with 4 first stage Engines from Glenn's Titan III/IV. The SRBS are obviously Titan IV SRBS, also from Glenn. In fact, it is all Glenn's stuff, except for the piple.

I used to think that they lit off all 4 solids at once, but there is a concept - called Titan 3D - that was studied, where they fired the first two, then as the first pair neared burnout, the fired the 2nd pair, and only after than, did they ignite the pair. I posted pictures of it from up-ship.com

Hope you like this version. It would make a neat flying model, if you could pull off parrallel ignition on the pad, discard the first pair, air ignite the 2nd, and then light the core. Thered be boosters and parachutes all over the sky!

Mike

Those are sweet!

Gee... I dunno... that'd have to be ONE MIGHTY STRONG CORE to take the thrust of two SRM's on either side, and use it to drag a couple of several hundred thousand pound SRM's UNLIT along at significant gee loads until the first pair burned out... Geez, the structural loads on that one makes my head hurt and I'm just visualizing it! Interesting idea but seems pretty impractical. Sorta like SRB-X on steroids... LOL

Airstarts in model rocketry aren't that difficult-- usually done by timer. Jettisonable boosters are doable too-- by several different methods... It would be a neat looking flight...

What's "Glenn's stuff"?? Later! OL JR