View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Dazed and Confused

I teach P.E. there in addition to working for the fire dept. and have been doing rockets with them for about 25 years. The kids are in 3rd grade and don't come close to having the skills needed to build the rockets by themselves because they only have Playstation dexterity. I teach the teachers and they do the program in class with the kids. We used to have an extremely high misfire rate, so I started prepping all motors with igniters myself and inserting them in the rockets just before we fly. Katie and I also do a quick check to make sure they haven't jammed on the nose cone with shock cord hanging out, and make sure they don't bind on the rod. We connect leads. Otherwise, it would take all day with all the misfires.

We used to have a technology class in 8th grade back when I taught 8th grade science. I helped the technology teacher set up the module that included rockets. They built and flew Alpha III's. The technology teacher switched to Kleenex to save money without me knowing about it. By the time they called me out of my class and I got the fire out, half of the football field had burned. Needless to say, she used real wadding after that.