View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Apollo Nut

Smile Relativity

Johnathan-

What a person legally procures, with their own income, is (or should be) their own business, explainable and defended to no one. This is still (at least for now) a country based on a Constitution with certain rights.

You, at the same time, are certainly free to wonder -- out loud -- why a person would spend such-and-such money on such-and-such item(s).

What I don't understand (at least in the 'imparted' tone of your messages) is the seemingly near-seething 'anger' directed at some of these folks with whom you disagree concerning their own private purchases, and in particular, amounts paid.

I can see feeling pity towards them; sorrow even maybe for the 'perceived' loss of valuable dollars that (by opinion) could have been 'better spent' on something else. But it seems (at least as I perceive it) that your feelings are neither of those more 'charitable' terms. On the contrary, the posts seem like 'anger' and 'hate'.

I would not personally plop down a couple million (even if I had it) for a rare painting. Nothing against them; just not my bag, not even for an 'investment'. Others, for whom that IS their 'bag' (and have the funds) might gladly do that for the joy it brings them and their appreciation of the object. But I don't be-grudge a person for doing that OR for HAVING the funds to be ABLE to do that.

Most of us on this forum might be most happy to drop $75 to $100 for a completetly and perfectly mint Cineroc hand signed by Mike Dorffler. That, most of us would probably agree, would be a pretty good deal....one not to be missed if at all possible. NOT as an 'investment'. Most of us here I suspect don't swap and buy this old stuff for investment purposes anyway, but because it's an offer that doesn't come around at that price point. Additionally, many of us never had a Cineroc back in the day and, if we were honest, still have a place in our heart for one.

Others, outside our hobby with no understanding or appreciation of what a Cinceroc is or who this Mr. Dorffler was, would probably think someone to be somewhat daffy for spending that kind of money on an 'old toy camera' (that you can't very easily use anymore).

It's hard to know what a given person's motivations are for a particular purchase: sentimental, practical, emotional, financial, etc. In many cases, espcially for things as relatively esoteric as vintage rocket kits, the persons know largely what the item is, what it means to them, and are fully conscious of the resources they are committing to make that transaction happen. I doubt too very many of those purchases are coming from folks who are just taking a wild gander at these auction sites, doing some random mouse clicks, and hitting 'something' and saying: "That looks like an interesting item! Let's buy that!!".

So, it's all relative in many cases. What one person loathes, another loves. What someone drops cash on in a second (crack? cocaine??), other see as a complete and total waste of time and money.

Space art? Astronaut memorabilia?? Seems I recall a former mention of items of that nature in your collection. Some of those things had to set you back a buck or two (masonic rings?). But that's none of my business and I don't need to know those details of what was spent. If that is what you wanted, I think that's wonderful!

But I don't HATE you for spending your cash on that!! I think it's great!! It's the land of the free (with 'increasing limits' on same). For someone (like you have done; like many of us have done) to push past circumstances, to earn your keep, and to apply your personal and private resources towards ends of your own (legal) choosing. That, at least in part, is what America is all about.

If I've missed your point, I apologize. It's just that I perceive soooooo much anger in your posts about how people spend their OWN money.

Politicians spending our money? Keep tearing them a new one. Now THERE is a travesty and mis-management (in many cases) of the country's riches.

Individuals doing their 'own thing'? Maybe a little more 'live and let live' towards 'what others do' might be a good thing.

Love ya man!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970