View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 07:57 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Hi Craig;

It's a very good list and covers most of the examples. As you say though, there is a difference in the mold, there being two distinct types.

The Challenger I fin can had fins that were molded in a slight diamond airfoil; this fin can was designated PRP-1G, and had P/N 032486. The Kadet had exactly the same fin can, with exactly the same part descriptors.

The later model kits (like the America, the Athena, and the Generic E2X) have fin cans with fins in a wedge airfoil shape; the part number for this model varies depending (I think) on the color of the plastic. For example, the Mongoose (#2092) has a Magenta-colored fin can with P/N 072651; yet the very same fin can appears in the Rattler-7 (#2150) in Green, with P/N 072401. Curiously, the old Scorpion (#1333) also has the wedge-shaped fin can instead of the diamond; I'd have to do some digging to see if this was the first use of the wedge-shaped fin can.

In any case, we cloners usually have to make do with what we can get our hands on, so a clone of the Challenger I is most likely going to be based on the later model fin can. It's doubtful that anyone would notice (or likely care!).

Bill - make sure you post a photo when the Challenger I is ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
This may not be a complete list, but it's all I could pull out of the XEKL on short notice:

#1235 Sky Writer #2
#1260 Sky Writer #2 (same kit, different package)
#1328 Kadet
#1333 Scorpion (used 2 fin units)
#1418 STAR TREK (starter set)
#1420 STAR WARS Proton Torpedo (starter set)
#1438 DUNE Guild Heighliner (starter set)
#1993 Lancer
#2026 Athena
#2042 America

As for whether all of these are the same, I think there are some differences in the molds, but that they represent the same fin units. Much like all of the different variations in the PNC-50K nose cone over the last 40 years...

Hope this helps...
YORF #003
SAM #004