View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

Jonathan,

Great post and confession.......

I do remember the phone call and indeed your collection of early Estes artifacts does belong in a museum. Problem is that you will have to build a trust fund to support the museum unless a wealthy collector enters the field and sees what is possible.

My suggestion is to really study the entire collection and slowly start selling off duplicates or the less than superb kits to those who might wish to own them. In that manner you can reduce the storage cost and raise some cash to fund holding the balance of the collection.

Remember for a collectoring hobby to flourish, there must be an adequate supply of collectibles otherwise folks give up after a year or two as the journey is too long and most folks become distracted into other areas. A secondary market outside of eBay has to appear so that serious collectors can find what they want when they have money to spend. You may have enough early kits to start that secondary market.

How many complete K kit collections do we know of? Jimi recently announced completing his after how many years? I have the funds to complete the collection, but lack the patience to check eBay every week to see what may appear over 3-5 years.

If I can find time to attend a few CMASS launches this summer, one of my goals is to take the early K kits and a display case to a meet and watch the reaction as most people have never seen the early kits up close or understand their approximate value in today's market.

Comments?