View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 09:54 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
You are not going to find much in the way of "safety" information for zinc/sulfur propellant due to the simple fact it is NOT SAFE.

Yeah it's essentially "flash powder" is it not... basically ANYTHING will set it off.

I think the problems with your motors are due to some error in the process... there's a video on YouTube of "The King of Random" where he makes similar motors. He uses the gray PVC hose nipples to make his motors because IIRC they're not as "brittle" and prone to shatter as regular PVC... IIRC they'd crack in two before they shatter. They say not to install air lines in shops with PVC (which I read a year after I'd installed my PVC air system) because if the pipe breaks under pressure basically it "explodes" with fragments of PVC blown all over the shop by the force of the compressed air behind it propelling it as it expands. Water and other liquids don't compress, so essentially if a water PVC pipe breaks the pressure is "instantly" relieved and therefore does not "propel" or continue to exert force on the pipe to shatter it into smaller fragments like air does.

Anyway, I haven't replaced my air system and it's been in there for most of 20 years... when it comes to air systems in shops they recommend either steel pipe or flex pipe (essentially, PEX or the black poly tubing with gray fittings...

Later! OL J R