Thread: R/C Phoenix 7
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Dazed and Confused

When I saw the title, I thought you had found an Aerotech Phoenix!

I only have one 60 size plane, but I never finished it. I started out with .40 size fun fly planes, (Sig Fazer was my "trainer") and never flew anything larger of my own.

I eventually picked a Kadet Senior trainer to modify for video camera payloads. It was a true "box of sticks" kit. In stock form, it could fly on a .40, but I built it for a .61 BB OS or Thundertiger to haul payloads. I converted it to tail dragger, added flaps, split the elevators and made the rudder full length, added removable floor and side panels for the camera lens, and rigged up brackets to hold a fairly large VHSC recorder pointing either down or to the side. It's been sitting like that, ready to cover for a long, long time. We've progressed from fairly large VHSC, to VHSC palm size, to Digital palm size, to HD keychain cams that can be flown on parkfly R/C planes since then!

I haven't flown in several years. The club I belonged to was a long way from home and nobody was ever there. Only a couple of members could be counted on to mow when it was their turn. I often had to mow before I could fly. Just like with camera technology changing, batteries and electric motors have become the new norm for R/C. It would be like starting over because I don't know anything about the electric side of R/C flying. If a club were to get started locally, I might start flying again, but for now, I'm mostly in a motorcycle phase.

Good luck with your club and flying ventures!