View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 12:31 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
While rare, I'm not sure it's worth the $380 someone paid for this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-Phan...s-/183635504904
The person listing that item is a bit hyperbolic regarding the rarity of his items, but for this particular one I think it was fairly accurate. REALLY a rare item. I wouldn't have paid $380 for it but if someone was looking to fill that last tiny niche in their collection I can understand how they would not want to let one get away.

Years ago my daughter listed two old, fairly mundane, Centuri parachutes on ebay. Two guys got in a bidding war and one of the 16" chutes sold for $36. It ended up going to someone I know and I was highly embarassed. I contacted him and he explained that that particular chute, size, color, and particular pre-printed price tag was the only chute he was missing in his extensive collection. He said he he had actually bid WAY more than what won because he knew who he was bidding against who was a similar collector. He did not want to miss that opportunity.

I suspect a similar situation with regard to the Phantom launcher.

As for the old motor lot, not an unreasonable price for 68 packs of motors. Especially with 6 packs of B14-0's and 7 packs of B14-7's. Downside #1 is that you have no idea how these have been stored for the last 35 years (if they were in a garage in Georgia all that time I'd be highly suspicious of them). Second downside is that you have to pick them up directly which, with the fairly large cost of the lot, will limit his potential market to a very , very tiny number of potential buyers. If I were local I might offer $150.