Thread: FSI Kit Eras
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Master Modeler

Well, I have an actual 1968 or 1968 FSI Nova right here!

The upper body is almost exactly 8" (203mm). A perfect match for the 1970 catalog.

The lower body is 5 11/16" (145mm). That part isn't measured out in the catalog diagram, but by subtracting the nose, upper body, and transition from the overall length we get 147mm, which is darn close. (The Sprint's upper body is 145mm . . . same part I guess).

Below I have the old model laid out next to a "Late Raytown Era" Nova, which is a bit longer:

The old Nova's motor mount:

I believe the builder (possibly John Fox of Evanston, IL) modified the mount. Here is the mount as it appears in the instructions:

The thick coupler part is one piece in the instructions. The built model has a ring at the rear. But the forward edges of the ring and the rear edge of the mount in front are very rough. John appears to have sawn off the rear 1/2" or so of the mount to create the rear ring. This is a sensible modification. FWIW, the model was built to take "A - D" motors (the FSI 21mm x 70mm size . . . the E5 (and the D18, which wasn't around at this time) was an inch or so longer.

Here is the front page of the instructions:

Once I plug in my scanner I'll make a higher quality image of each page!