View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

I HAD an old Porta-Pad II I bought when I got back into rocketry in the 1990's. It was a really nice launch pad (just like the Porta-Pad I had when I was a kid). It's nothing special, it just works. Sadly Estes no longer carries a "nice" launch pad Apogee, however has one they import from China (big shock there) that looks pretty familiar.

[LINK]

I normally use my club's equipment (which is actually really nice), but for a quick fix at a local park, I use a Tilt-A-Pad my father-in-law helped me build (he has a shop-smith in his basement).

I still have a Porta-Pad E in my basement. I looked it over and said "No Thanks" - just looked a little too cheesy. I really think Estes can do better with their launch pads - and I think they should do better. Keep a cheap on in the line-up for starter kits, but bring back the "non-lightning-leg" Porta-pad II's and maybe the "Big-foot", and dare we dream, the Power-plex.

As I understand it, the Astron II pad has no ability to tilt the rod and can accept on 1/8" rods - so, I'm not enthusiastic about this offering.

I did a poll a while ago a while back, and the most popular launch pad was the Tilt-A-Pad, followed by Big Foot, then original Porta-pad.

The most popular controllers were Solar, then Astron, then a tie for Big foot and Electron Beam.