View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Which reminds me of another story. There's a picture of Sam and his Estes Bail Out at one of our local fields around 1995 or 96. The rocket is on the pad, and right next to the range box is a roll of toilet paper that I was using as recovery wadding.
What can I say, it's what we used on the asphalt parking lot at NKU in 1977. Part of the fun was watching the sheets come back to earth smoking. Luckily I discovered dog barf when I got back in for real in 2001.

Not to worry Bill. I make my own wadding with a roll of toilet paper and some boric acid. I mix the Boric acid with water in a spray bottle. Hanging ten square lengths of toilet paper from the clothesline, I spray it down with the solution. I haven't found the best ratio of water to boric acid yet, but am working on it. I'm using something around one tablespoon per pint of water right now. if the "wadding" isn't used in about a six month period, the acid tends to condense and flake off the toilet paper.

When my daughters were younger, I told them if the neighbors had any questions, they were to tell the nosey SOB's that we were so poor we were reusing our toilet paper.

All in all, a roll of Scott tissue single ply (don't bother with two ply) at around $1 a roll and the bottle of Boric Acid at around $4 dollars (and lasts a long time) and you have enough wadding to last quite a while and a cheap price.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.