View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 06:48 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

ok guys, I have a breakthrough of sorts.

here's the scoop / what I recall, etc.

1) I know for CERTAIN this was a published plan, but for the life of me can not find it
I'd assumed maybe CRM, or High Power Research, but have triple checked every issue I have - might have been Model Rocketry, but I doubt it as most of the copies I have have come in the last couple years thanks to ebay.
I even checked all my club newsletters, just in case, with no results. .... thinking now it might have been in SNOAR News, since some members of our club were subscribed, and about the right timeframe, iirc.

2) I did find an invoice from Magnum Inc, Dec 1993 that has FSI 1.34" parts tacked onto it, which I;m fairly sure were for this bird, so that's about when I built it .

3) I found the drawing posted below in a folder I have
hand drawn with dimmensions,etc, but rather detailed lengths, etc - I know this was not something I dreamed up, as I'd have just cut the tube and had it at that ( ie" boost and payload = 18" so one tube could be used, or else 18" sustainer tube, one cut for pl/ booster, etc.. hey I'm lazy with scratchbuilts, lol

sooo.. the mystery as tot he origin of the plans I saw deepens, but the photo of BJ Humpries prooves the bird exists, it;s too close of a match to my drawing and builtup .
Photos of the built rocket show my "heavily influenced by Ron Schultz and others in the late 80's " auto paint,mylar wraps,etc.

Enjoy .

~ AL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Enerjet Sonic 36 drawing.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  96.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  sonic36.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  27.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  sonic36b.jpg
Views: 121