View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 01:06 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
If you can give me dates I can research them and bring them to the magic of the internet for all the little kids to see for a decade into the future. The thing about the past is most of it is NOT on the internet. I got on the internet IIRC in 1992, after the majority of model rocket history had happened. The following era was HPR (started by me in 1978 and adopted by TRA/NAR in 1984-6).

I think USR was the first rocket company with a website. I was playing with html (and email and FTP) and said, "I can do this!"

Jealous of your NAR numbers . . . .

NAR 24333
Polaris section 193 (after NAR added 100 to all section numbers)
TRA 012 founder
Lucerne Test Range Prefecture #007 founder.

Coulda had a lower number but I asked for a license to kill!

Jerry,

My magazines, like most of my old rocket stuff, are in storage in Colorado Springs while I am working in the Midwest, so I don't have access to most of that information right now. Next time I get home, I will look them up and try to get the info to you. I would love to see them on the internet so a new generation (and an old generation as well) can see them.

The article refered to above from PM (I finally stopped looking at the picture long enough to READ the article.) Man, talk about hard-core rocketry! A rocket propelled by liquid oxygen and thiakol rubber? Good heavens! That was a different world from the one we now know, and no mistake. Sometimes I wonder how I ever got to be this old. Oh, I guess I got to be this old by not dieing sooner...

Other than fiction, like October Skies, do you know if there has ever been a definnitive history written about those early, pre-NAR amature rocket days?

The Fireman