View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 10:44 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Sheesh, the $62 YEARLY cost of NAR membership is less than one MONTH of combined cable TV/Internet. I don't see what you folks are complaining about, I really don't.

Support the NAR. It's good for the hobby, it's good for you if you're in the hobby, and it's a drop in the bucket compared to your other bills.

I dunno about how you and your family does its finances, but we have a budget...

Hobby and recreational type stuff (unless it's a family vacation or something) comes out of our individual "sock drawer money" that we each individually have for our hobbies or interests... we can save it up for big ticket items, or dole it out little by little for various activities or materials... I made a big purchase of Estes kits on the big sale (mostly for parts) and another from Semroc to get a bunch of building materials and a kit I wanted. That's going to cap my spending on the "space program" for quite awhile...

When you spend between $180-$250 bucks a year on rocketry, $62 bucks is just too much of that hobby budget to spend on one deal, and one for which most of that money is spent on stuff I DON'T need... sorry but just not happening.

For some folks that's chickenfeed-- I get it. For some folks, its NOT... There's HPR guys who are members of BOTH orgs and love it... good for them... they also don't blink an eye dropping several hundred bucks on a single motor and maybe several thousand on a single rocket, in some cases... again, good for them... BUT *I* ain't one of them... (personally, even if I *did* have that kind of money, I'd spend it on other things, but that's just me).

It doesn't matter if that's only 2/3 of the satellite TV bill-- that's totally beside the point... in our budget, the satellite bill, along with phone and internet bills, is part of the house expenses... totally different line item... LOL

"The Emperor" doesn't like it when I come in asking for more "appropriations" for the "space program"... LOL

Later! OL JR