View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Soak your nozzles in lacquer thinner! It's the only way to get them absolutely clean. The plastic is lacquer-safe since the same nozzle could be found on spray cans of lacquer paint.

If you really want to be anal about it, buy either a piece of aluminum or brass tubing that fits over the nozzle's tube and blow it out. Be sure to inhale before putting the tube in your mouth! And wear safety glasses. You don't know if the spray might hit you in the face! Don't ask me why I am concerned for your safety.

I've been using Krylon old formula which I stocked up on in the late 90s to early 2000s. The key is clean your nozzles, and invert that can to clear paint if you may not be using the paint for awhile. You don't want that paint drying down inside the top of the can.

Bunny,

The Rustoleum 2X whites are excellent. I've used the gloss, semigloss, and flat. Their colors are equally good, but I've had my issues with other brands of white paint, especially gloss. Finally, Rustoleum lacquers are my favorite. They only come in red, black, and white. There may be a silver, but I've never seen it in stores. However, these lacquers are compatible with the little Testors and Model Master lacquers, so you have a lot of options with lacquers. If you are worried about crazing plastic parts, spray them first with Tamiya primers. Formulated to protect plastic, and have no fillers to blur molded details that may exist in any plastic pieces, like body wraps.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp