View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryfortin
No one responded to the question concerning the Orion Starfighter / Torellian Invader combo kit or the World Federation Star Prober. Have any forum members ever built these models? Even with the size of my kit collection, I do not own these two kits and believe they are quite rare. Were the kits too exotic in 1980 and lacked interest at the time. I hope someone can share insight on this topic.
So many others to mention, that they probably just haven't come up yet. So I'll get the ball rolling: Yes, I like all three designs. In fact, I wanted to clone the WFSP awhile back, but the scan at YORP is too low-res. And I think that the Orion Starfighter and Torellian Invader are both extremely cool. If I had been buying rocket kits back in the early '80's, I would have grabbed those in a heartbeat.

But getting back to a design I mentioned earlier, I see the #1372 Alien Explorer as the perfect complement to the #1273 USS Andromeda. They are similar in length, diameter, fin span and design theme. Just imagine the drag race! If you like the Andromeda, I can't see how you wouldn't also like the AE. I think that this pair represents two of the coolest designs that Estes ever did.

Actually, let's make that drag race a three-way by throwing in the FlisKits Night Whisper.

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011