View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 02:33 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
At any rate, the big advantage of the 13mm mount is a 4 pack of A3-4T's is the same price as a 3 pack of A8-5's. The A8-3 is way too short a delay for any of the BT-50 sized bulk kits, so you can't take advantage of the bulk pack discount. That's another thing I've wanted Estes to do for years...bulk pack A8-5's. Bulk pack A8-4's would be even better.

To clarify a bit on what I said earlier. There is enough scatter in the data (perhaps 20 flights on A8-3s, A8-5s and A3-4Ts primarily) that motor-to-motor and specific launch condition differences appear to obscure anything clearly favoring the A3-4Ts. These were flights made over several months at two local sites all with the same weary Alpha. The Alpha was built from a circa 2010 bulk pack kit, and flying the same FireFly. (The FireFly and other current PerfectFlite altimeters are very consistent - which is, I am sure, the main reason they are the current TARC altimeters).

I agree the nominal 3 second delay is too short for these models and it would be great if Estes brought back the A8-5 bulk packs. They did exist at one time - I got one early in my BAR period though I don't recall the source now.

For that matter bulk A3-4Ts would be nice to have.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE